Please sign in to post.

passport safety

We are leaving tomorrow for our first trip to Italy!!! We have the Rick Steves money belts. If there are safes in our hotels, should we leave our passports there and just carry the copy we have?

Posted by
23267 posts

A copy is of no value other than to prove to the American consulate that you had one should you lost it. I always carry my passport, generally in my money belt, unless I need it that day. It proves you are legally in the country. You don't carry a copy of your driver's license do you?

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi Lynne. You'll find differing opinions on this; some people do it each way. Certainly if you are going to be swimming or similar activity, leaving in hotel safe makes sense. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
32202 posts

Lynne, As the previous reply mentioned, there are always differing opinions on that subject on the HelpLine. I prefer to keep my Passport with me (usually in my MoneyBelt), as losing it would cause major disruptions to my holiday. While hotel safes are generally "safe", I prefer having the Passport with me. Happy travels!

Posted by
4152 posts

Legally, you're supposed to carry it with you. A photocopy won't do. I carry mine in a secure bag or let my husband carry them in the money belt. Donna