Please sign in to post.

Travel question

How can we go from Orvieto to Civita Bagnoregio on a Sunday, without taking an expensive taxi (or walking)?
Thanks
Marie

Posted by
28 posts

Thanks. We do know that the bus doesn's run on Sunday, but we will check around. At worst we will take the cab.
Marie

Posted by
28 posts

Thanks, we thought of that but we drive a lot in the US and love to take public transportation while in Europe, when possible.

Posted by
241 posts

Looking at the map, and having observed small bus service in Italy, I am guessing there may be a bus that would get you close, BUT it might only run once or twice perday, and Sunday's are always iffy for bus service. If you are in Orvieto for at least a full day previous you might be able to research it thoroughly then.

Posted by
72 posts

This might be case where renting a car in preferable. Orvieto to Civita is a nice drive and not very long. As of last year, the bus did not run on Sundays.

You could also stop at the Tenuta La Valette on the way from Orvieto to Bagnoregio. This winery is owned by the family of one of RS tour guides. Our RS tour group stopped there last May while going from Florence to Rome. Had a fantastic wine tasting. But I digress.

If you are staying in Bagnoregio, I hope it's at Romantica Pucci. What a wonderful stay we had there. Pucci is a wonderful host and the food is excellent.

Posted by
7737 posts

Perhaps one of your hotels could help you. They'll know the situation better than anyone else.

Posted by
479 posts

Marie, when you decide to take public transportation you are also at the mercy of public transportation. So it will either be inconvenient or expensive to get yourself to Civita Bagnoregio on a Sunday from Orvieto unless you rent a car and give yourself more freedom.

I'm all for public transportation whenever possible. I wish it was more cost-effective and timely to take public transportation everywhere. But the reality is that it's not. So you have to weigh all of the pros and cons and be willing to just skip something if it's not fesible.

Posted by
28 posts

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. We will have to consider the pros and cons of renting a car. Yes we are staying at
Romantica Pucci (made the reservation last July).
Glad to hear it is as wonderful as I thought.
Thanks again.
Ciao,
Marie