Please sign in to post.

Italy Trip

We are headed to Italy for 11 day flying out the 12th. Currently we are in Rome 3 days, Florence 4 with 2 wine tours scheduled. My question is we are thinking Lucca one day and spending the night and than Siena the next 2 1/2 days before we head back to Rome to fly out. Should we spend the night in Lucca and 2 in Siena? Do you agree or any other ideas?

Posted by
10344 posts

It sounds like a wonderful itinerary, I wouldn't change a thing!

Posted by
1003 posts

It depends on the type of people you are. I didn't loooove Rome like I loooved Florence, but 3 days in Rome isn't really enough IMO, just so much to see and do and absorb, you'll either be rushed or miss a lot. On the other hand, I did really enjoy Siena but my daytrip there was more than enough for me to feel like I saw most of the city center. If it were my trip I'd only spend one night in Siena (that way you still get to experience evening there and have a whole day to spend) and add the other to Rome either on the front or back end and do Lucca as a day or trip from Florence and instead of staying in Lucca, add the day to one of the other three (so you could get the 2 nights in Siena this way if you wanted). But it's not my trip! IMO it depends on why you are going to each place, what you want to do there. Also, would it bother you to stay in 4 hotels and lug your luggage 4 times in 11 days? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but it's something to consider. Anyway have a great trip!! :)

Posted by
479 posts

Allen, sounds like a great itinerary, but you don't need to double up Florence and Siena. My advice is to stay in one of those two places and take 2 day trips to the other. The cost of Florence compared to Siena is almost silly.