Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Venice

I have it narrowed down to Ca del Dose and Hotal Riva, any reviews positive and negative would be appreciated. Ca del Dose seems to have a great view of the grand canal but I'm afraid it might be noisy. While Riva says the gondolier are right outside their door. My main concern is to have a pretty quiet place. Thanks!

Posted by
1201 posts

If by quiet you mean at night when you are trying to sleep, then just about anywhere you are in Venice you have pretty good shot. Venice get cery quiet and deserted after dark and especially late. Both are however in a very busy area of Venice during the day time. I doubt that Ca del Dose has a view of the lagoon but there would seem to a good chance of a nice campo view. The Riva is on a canal that would get a lot of traffic during the day but should fall off quite a bit at night.

Posted by
27 posts

We stayed at Hotel Riva in May 2005 and I would not stay there again. They were not friendly at the front desk. They tried to charge us more than what we have originally agreed upon. The breakfast was a stale roll and bad coffee. By far the worst breakfast on any of our travels. The gondola is right outside the door and it is noisy at night.

Posted by
712 posts

Hi Jacqui, We stayed at the Hotel Flora. It was very close to St. Mark's Square, but down a quiet alleyway. It had a charming courtyard/garden with a fountain in the middle to relax and have an afternoon of evening drink and also your breakfast. It is not on a canal, so if you want to be on the water it would not be for you. It had a very old world and elegant feel. The shower in the bathroom was telephone booth size, but it seems all the places in Italy we stayed the last trip were like that. Their web site is - http://www.hotelflora.it/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=236 - It is close to the Harry's Bar Vaparetto stop. If you go to their web site give a chance for the statue picture to change to see the courtyard.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you Cynthia and Marie. I ended up reserving a room with Ca del Dose, I was wrong about the location. They are not on a canal but close to a park and that works fine for us. I'll post after the trip could did we end up liking it. Thanks for all the responses,
Jacqui

Posted by
479 posts

Cynthia, I had the exact opposite experience at hotel Riva. I found the people working at the hotel to be professional and business-minded. They didn't speak PERFECT English, so there was a lot of just pointing at the price lists. But the owner of the hotel was fantastic. He upgraded us to a larger room and discounted the price just because we kind of balked at the original price. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Also, the canal that Riva is on is very narrow and not heavily traveled. It wasn't noisy at all. A delivery boat or two may wake you up in the morning, but not at like 6:00. Actually, it was kind of surreal to look out of our window to see a DHL delivery BOAT!

Posted by
24 posts

We stayed at Hotel Riva last Oct. It was very central to everything..no, not the most frindly, and yes...just a hard roll for breakfast. We had plenty of steps to our 4th floor room, but I actually LOVED being able to look down at the canal and the activity, and see the morning deliveries, and construction workers. It was fascinating ! We did not find it noisy....but were usually exhausted by late evening and slept well. We found that we didn't stay in our rooms very mcuh anyway. Enjoy your visit ! MARILYN

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for all the replies everybody and the good wishes Marilyn.