Please sign in to post.

airport location

I'm flying into Rome, train travel north, staying maybe in Sienna instead of Florence. Sounds like a nicer place. What is the closest airport to fly back to the USA? Kathy

Posted by
479 posts

Florence or Rome. Don't try getting yourself all the way to Milan or Venice. Rome is probably cheaper than Florence, but not necessarily.

Posted by
6898 posts

Is Florence or Siena your final destination? If yes, you are close enough to Rome for a roundtrip flight into and out of Rome. If not, Pisa, Milan and Venice are also choices but note that airfare for flying into one city and out of another can be more expensive.

Please advise on your final destination in Europe. We could offer suggestions on different airports depending on your answer.

Posted by
805 posts

The one advantage that Rome and Pisa have over Florence is that Florence's airport is small enough that there are no transcontinental flights, while Rome has many and Pisa has at least one (to JFK on Delta). If you go through Florence you will have to change planes in Europe.

Posted by
1449 posts

actually I'd recommend trying to fly out of a smaller town, connecting in Europe for the transcontinental flight. The international lines at the Rome airport can be quite long.

For example I've flown out of Perugia which has 1 turboprop flight each day to Milan. Its early in the morning, they have a shuttle bus that comes around to the hilltop and takes you right to the airport for maybe 2E. So I get to spend my last nite in some place I like rather than an expensive airport near FCO. I booked the flight on Orbitz and it wasn't much more to fly that way than from Rome.

I'd recommend looking into similar flights from Sienna, Pisa, etc.