Please sign in to post.

Train from Venice to Lake Garda

Seems I have missed the cheap 9 euro fares after weeks of checking!! We are travelling from Venice to Lake Garda - should we wait and try to buy regional tickets when we arrive in Venice or should we buy the Fast train at 58Euro for 2 adults and 1 child.
Thanks so much for any help.

Posted by
20103 posts

There are some Regionale Veloce trains for 9.65. They due the run is 1 hr 52 min. The Frecci trains do the run in 1 hr 26 min. If you can't get a good Frecci fare, that's a good alternative and you can buy at departure.

Posted by
15180 posts

Are those discounted tickets? If they are full base prices there is no reason to purchase in advance. You can buy on the spot.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you for the answers - the fare is a family fare so it is discounted some - the regional train schedule does not seem to list any morning train unless I have not gotten the correct schedule - We were hoping to leave Venice sometime around 9am.

Posted by
20103 posts

5 am too early? Venice is a pretty quiet town. You won't have any problems getting to bed early.

Posted by
20 posts

Any idea how long it takes to get to the station!!

Posted by
32776 posts

Are you trying to find Regionale trains more than 7 days in advance? If so, you won't see them. They don't show up on Trenitalia more than 7 days ahead. To find Regionale trains look at the same day this week; the times don't change much. Or look at the DB site and allow local travel. Tick the box "Local Transport".

Posted by
32776 posts

Any idea how long it takes to get to the station!! I see your 2 exclamation marks. Is that because you are very excited or panic? To Venezia SMN station it would depend a little on where you are starting from. Are you starting from a hotel? Which one???? Otherwise we are guessing and guess won't help you.....

Posted by
20103 posts

I think Barbara's exclamation points were to my suggestion of a 5 am train. Rousting the "1 child" out of bed at 4 am may be a little too much to ask.

Posted by
20 posts

We are staying in Cannaregio @ the Hotel Bernardi Semenzato. How long to the S.Lucia station?
Thanks for the help on the regional train but the website (Trenitalalia.com)for some reason does not read the date when I try to access the regional schedules.

Posted by
20103 posts

It's about a mile walk to the train station (20 min for me). You can catch a vaporetto at Ca D'Oro, but it will still take about 20 minutes during the day, unless the boat pulls up just as you get to the dock. If you take my outrageous suggestion of a 5 am train, the night boat scheduled stop is 4:38, gets to the station at 4:47.

Posted by
32776 posts

We are staying in Cannaregio @ the Hotel Bernardi Semenzato. How long to the S.Lucia station? To find where your hotel is I looked at their website. From their website, Santa Lucia railway station Number 1 ACTV water bus to the Ca'd'Oro stop (15 minutes). Water taxi to the Campo Santi Apostoli, 10 to 15 minutes. From the Ca' d'Oro water bus stop
At the end of the narrow lane leading from the water bus stop turn right, then go straight on for about 200 metres as far as a small square, Campo Santi Apostoli. Turn left in the first lane, Calle dell'oca and go straight on for about 50 meters. The hotel is at the number 4366. To elaborate, the number 1 is the slow, almost all stops vaporetto. It runs at least every 10 minutes all day long. Based on where they are and their description backs up my experience, between 5 and 10 minutes from the vaporetto stop to the hotel; the same in reverse. In the heat of the day the area around SS Apostoli can be a bit crowded and the walk a little longer. The water taxi - much much more expensive - doesn't buy you much in the way of time.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks to everyone - and yes, the ! is for rousting a preteen out at 4 something am. We will use Vaporetto to station -any ideas on the # od days for the pass. We arrive about 4 on Thurs and leave about 8 on Monday.
ALl the directions from everyone are GREAT _my thanks for that and any other insider tips for Rome or Venice!

Posted by
20103 posts

How are you arriving and departing Venice, train or plane? arriving 4 pm and leaving 8 am? If on plane you can add an airport transfer (one way or round trip) on your pass. 72 hour at 35 euro is best deal. Just buy a one way ticket when you leave, otherwise the next pass is 50 euro for 7 days. Paradoxically, your preteen has to pay adult fare, if 14 or older, could get a youth 72 hour pass for 18 eruo plus 4 euro for a "Rolling Venice" card.

Posted by
20 posts

Would we be better to purchase a single ticket on the way to the hotel so that we have all day Sunday -perhaps a long moonlit ride around the canal.
Also is it easier to purchase the tickets in the US from the Venice website or better when we arrive?

Posted by
20103 posts

Sure. Even if you buy on line in advance, you have to go to the ticket kiosk and enter your PN (emailed to you after purchase) to retrieve your pass. You can only retrieve your pass on the day you ordered it to start. Long story short, its just as easy to buy there. They used to have discounts for advance purchase, but that, like free airline luggage check, is a thing of the past.