Please sign in to post.

car rental in Tuscany

We will be traveling by train from Venice to Tuscany (haven't chosen a town to stay in yet) and will stay 5 days before flying out of Florence. Any suggestions about where to rent a car? Is it cheaper and easier to rent in one of the smaller towns that have train transportation or is Florence the best bet? Thanks

Posted by
9420 posts

You could call AutoEurope at 1-888-223-5555. They are very helpful. AutoEurope is an American based car rental co. for Europe. Some say they offer the best prices.

Posted by
3313 posts

I say Autoeurope offers the best rates and, more importantly, the best service. Florence is probably the best to rent from unless you're going to be in far south Tuscany. Then, I'd train to Orvieto and pick up from there.

It's not so much the price difference between Florence and a smaller town. It's that the offices are likely to be open at more convenient hours and days. Also, the selection of cars will be better and the office staff more accustomed to English-speaking tourists.

Posted by
18 posts

Agree on Autoeurope. I just spent countless hours on the same scenario. You can go on their web site and try different pick up cities to see what is available. You could also consider Sienna. I did read one post that said there was a Hertz across the road from the train station, and Autoeurope will give options. If you choose Florence - make sure you have a clear path out of the city without driving in a restricted (no car) zone or you could see a hefty ticket in the mail later. For checking addresses of rental places quoted by AutoEurope, I've found the following site works well:
http://mappe.alice.it/tcolnew/index_alice.html#
Enter the city in the top left, the street below, and the street number to the right of that.
Make sure you understand the insurance and deductibles, some online quotes will be without mandatory insurance, or with very high deductibles.
I found most places had similar hours - closed 12:30 to 3:30, except Florence airport. Good luck!