Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Question

We are going to spend 14 days in Europe starting with a week in Germany and then a week in Tuscany. What is the best way to handle the rental car? Is it best to rent a car while in Germany, turn it in there and take a train down to Italy and rent a car in Italy? Or is it better to take the rental car from Germany in to Italy and then back in to Germany? (our trip will be returning back into Munich for the return flight - open jaw was more expensive for us)
Thanks!

Posted by
3313 posts

My biggest consideration would be the drop charge if you rent in Germany and return in Italy. It could be several hundred dollars. You'll need to call the rental agency to be sure you know what the drop charge will be.

Also, if you drive to Italy through Switzerland, you'll have to buy an annual highway permit for something like $40.

I think you'll be better off renting in Germany, returning, and then train to Italy and rent again there.

Call Autoeurope to check, don't do this online.

Posted by
850 posts

I would rent through gemut.com since you are arriving and departing from Germany. Check their rates. Great customer service and they will match or better anybody else on rates if you compare apples to apples.
You do need a vignette sticker for Switzerl and also Austria if you get on their autobahn. You can get one for a week or two or more in Austria but the Switzerland one is for a year. No option for shorter period but that could still be cheaper than having to rent a car in Italy should you take that route. Renting a car in Germany is cheaper.

Posted by
850 posts

Also, take a gps with you if at all possible. If not rent the car with one but if you go ahead and purchase one here you can get use to it and avoid the learning curve of using theirs. It is worth the investment.

Posted by
416 posts

If you plan to rent and return the car in Germany, keep it through Italy. It is actually cheaper to rent a car in Germany than in Italy and it saves you some time that could be better put to use sightseeing than in returning a car and then picking up another one in Italy. Going through Switzerland isn't necessary if you want to save the cost of the pass mentioned in another post. You can go through Austria which will take you through the Dolomite mountains. I am doing something similar next month. Flying in and out of Frankfurt, renting a car and driving to Italy through Austria and then returning through Switzerland. I love Switzerland so it is definitely worth it to me for the extra charge for the highway pass. It sounds like you are flying in and out of Munich which is extremely convenient for the drive through Austria to Italy.

Posted by
416 posts

One other reason for keeping the car for the whole trip--you usually get a lower daily rate if you have it for a week or more.

Posted by
1158 posts

Since there will be more then one person travelling, it will be cheaper to rent a car for the whole trip instead of travelling by train.
In 2002 we rented a car from europcar.com for $125/week VAT included. It's a bit more expensive now.This company has offices all over Europe.
Make sure you rent the car per week, otherwise the charge for less then that will be high.We rented the car for an extra day and paid $90, almost as much as for the whole week.
Have a nice trip!