Please sign in to post.

Customs in Milan

I am traveling to Italy in March. I have a flight into Milan then a 2 hour layover before a flight to Venice. How long does it take to go through customs in Milan. How does one get thru customs (do you retrieve your luggage then go through customs? and then have to check luggage again for the second leg of the trip?) Any info you can give about transferring to the second flight will be very helpful.

Posted by
9099 posts

Your passport/immigration check will be in Milan. If you have checked luggage, it will automatically be sent to your connecting flight.

Posted by
3112 posts

If you're able to check-in for both flights in the USA and check your luggage through to Venice, then you'll transfer in Milan as Michael said. If Milan to Venice is on a non-code share flight, you may need to clear customs, then retrieve your luggage and check-in again. Before doing that, look for a representative of the 2nd airline upon arrival and ask them how to proceed. Even if you're required to go through passport control in Milan, the lines move fairly quickly. Last year it was really busy when I arrived, but it only took about 15 minutes.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you very much for the replies. I am traveling both flights on Alitalia, so I should be able to check luggage through to Venice.

Thanks for the info.