Please sign in to post.

Lourdes, France

We are traveling from Rome to Lourdes, France. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay while there or any other advice on things to do? Also, what is a decent local airlines for getting there from Italy? Thanks,
Bernadette

Posted by
1501 posts

Hi, Bernadette! If you don't get any answers by tomorrow, try reposting with a more specific title, like how to get to Lourdes from Rome. I have never been to Lourdes, but when I travel from country to country within Europe I use Kayak.com to check flights and rates. But be careful with weight restrictions on the cheaper airlines like Ryanair.

Posted by
1994 posts

Bernadette, I did the same thing last fall, but in reverse. I found no good options for flying from Rome to Lourdes (as I recall, EasyJet via London taking 12-24 hours; or major carriers for over $1000). However, you might want to check SkyScanner website to see if that has changed. I have a couple of suggestions:
-Consider taking a high speed train to Milan and flying from there. Ryan Air flies Lourdes/Milan several days a week (not EVERY day). You'll probably need an extra hour or so to get from Milan Centrale to the remote airport (Bergamo, if I remember correctly). I paid less than 50E, including all the fees. Just read Ryan Air's rules carefully and comply, or it can get expensive. And the earlier you book, the cheaper the ticket. And as an aside, there are really beautiful, very early (~4th-5th C) churches in Milan (eg, San Ambrogio). -If you need to use a major carrier (eg, can't get to Milan), check price of round trip ticket, as well as one way. I once had to fly Air France from Lourdes to Paris, and it was much cheaper to buy a round trip ticket and not use the return than to buy a one way ticket. Enjoy your stay. It's a place of great holiness.

Posted by
1994 posts

Forgot to mention: I stayed last time at the Hotel Chapelle et Parc and liked it. It was about a block from the entrance to the Domain, and the prices were reasonable. Ask for a quiet room in back; I'd guess that the street side rooms could be pretty noisy at night. Didn't eat there; meals were more than I wanted to pay. I've also stayed more in the main part of town, but I'd suggest staying in one of the MANY places near the Domain.