Please sign in to post.

100E per night in Italy!!

Helping my daughter and her husband(newlyweds) plan a trip to Italy in Early june for 2 weeks. Flight is booked, and all the rooms are booked. They are paying about 90-130E a night in Rome, Florence, Cinqueterre, Montepluciano. Of course, exchange rate/economy(Cdn$) drives the above rate up. Should they be looking for rooms at a lower rate or will the accomodation standards be too sketchy?

Posted by
23267 posts

I am not sure what your question. That price range is about right for 3 star hotels at that time in those locations. In fact it might be a little on the low side. They could probably move down a bit but the location might be more of a problem than the quality of the accommodations. They are hitting prime time for Italy.

Posted by
173 posts

I know what you mean..my question was a bit ambiguous..I guess I was questioning the need to seek out lower priced properties without sacrificing convenience in location, quality. They are trying to be frugal without doing the hostel experience. I think we need to stick to the already fixed rates...sorry.

Posted by
135 posts

Go to venere.com, or Romeby.com-

Both sites link you with hotels, pensiones, etc., with reviews to help you decide.

We were in Italy in Oct/Nov and paid 60E a night for a great place in Rome, 65E in Montalcino- there are excellent rates out there, you just have to search in a different way

Posted by
23267 posts

Keep in mind, Tony, that you were there in the off season and they are at the peak in June.

Posted by
32202 posts

annemarie,

As you've already booked the rooms, my preference would be to stick with the original plan. Keep in mind that all of their other expenses (food, sightseeing, local transportation, etc.) will be subject to exchange rate fluctuations so there's no way to avoid that.

I can very much appreciate the often depressing exchange rates on the Canadian dollar, as I have to deal with that too. The reality is that travel in many countries in western Europe is expensive, so there are not many options. Given that this is such an important occasion, I'm sure they will want this to be as enjoyable as possible without too much worry about the cost.

If this is their first trip to Europe, I'd highly recommend reading Europe Through The Back Door so that they have some idea on how the trains operate, etc. Italy especially can be a bit of a "culture shock" for first-timers.

Please extend congratulations to your daughter and new son-in-law.

Cheers!

Posted by
173 posts

Ken, you are so kind..thank you. They actually got married in October but this they consider to be their big trip between grad school and the working world! I think I will advise to hold the same. My uncle did suggest using the Santa susanna(?) convent close to the Vatican..cheap and super frugal..there they could of saved, maybe. Thanks for the book recommendation..I have used it in the past. Don't know what I would have done without Rick Steves' books in the past.

Posted by
32202 posts

annemarie,

The Italy book would probably be a great reference source also, not only for planning but for them to pack along on the trip. Europe Through The Back Door is more of a "pre-read book", but I always pack the country Guidebook along. Having it on hand is very useful for reference if needed (info on how to get around the cities, Museum opening/closing days, ways to avoid queues, etc.).

Cheers!

Posted by
173 posts

I got them the Italy book for her birthday and the Italy Planning map for christmas..although when time came to wrap it it went missing...