Please sign in to post.

10 Days in Italy - December 2018

We have 10 days in Italy - flying into Rome Dec. 20 and flying out of Rome Dec. 31. What are must do's and sees for 10 full days? How many days in each place too.

Posted by
381 posts

If this is your first trip to Italy I would visit Rome, Florence and Venice using the train for transportation and flying open jaw...into one city and out of another so you do not backtrack. Even this plan is going to be tight with the amount of time you have to spend and still be able to slow down and absorb where you are.

Posted by
930 posts

can you change your flights? Fly into Venice and out of Rome - then do Venice, Florence; Rome? That's what we love to do.

If you can't change your flights, circling back to Rome will take away precious time and I would just do Rome And Florence. And do a couple Day Trips into Tuscany with WalkAbout Florence - we LOVE their 'Best of Tuscany' tour and their 'Chianti Wine & Food Safari' tour. It takes A LOT of time to move between cities and check in and out of hotels and do the train. Less is more - you will love Rome and Florence. Don't make a mistake by trying to cram too much in. Savor and enJOY.

Posted by
227 posts

I agree with feedback to see Rome, Venice and Florence. We flew in to Venice (2 nights), train to Florence (2 nights) then train to Rome (3 nights) an flew home from Rome. That is the ideal route but if you can't change your flights you can do Rome/Florence/Venice but your time in each city will be limited. I urge you to take another week. This is a trip you will never forget and you should see the famous sites in each city. Have fun.

Posted by
11247 posts

Since you will be there over Christmas, confine your travels to Florence OR Venice and Rome. Upon arriving, go directly to Florence OR Venice by train for 3 or 4 nights. On the 24th (or 23rd) go to Rome, but arrive as early as you can, like Noon or 13:00 if it is Christmas Eve and get checked in. Make sure you have a reservation for Christmas Eve dinner as well as Christmas lunch as many Italians as well as tourists will be dining out.

The afternoon of the 24th and all day the 25th are very quiet, so set your expectations accordingly. Long walks on quiet streets for the 25th. possibly visit one of the nativity displays. The one in Piazza del Popolo is open even on the 25th and has over 300 creches. The 26th you will find many tourist sites open so the 26th-30th you can get your fill of what Rome has to offer.