Please sign in to post.

10 Days in Italy

Hi all,
This is my first post and I have been reading up extensively on all your suggestions, tips, recommendations and advice in this forum.
To start off, I am working on going to Italy from 8-17 June. Landing in Rome on the 8th and leaving from Rome on the 17th. This is my first trip to Italy and will be with my better half and 16 years old daughter.
The initial plan was to spend 2 days in Rome, head to Florence for 2 days, then Cinque Terra for 2 days and finally the last 2 days back in Rome. But after going through the forum, we are having second thoughts. Shall we head out to Florence and Cinque Terra first then spend the remaining time in Rome instead?

I would also like to seek advice on whether we should do a day trip to Cinque or stay over there.

This trip will be more of a sight-seeing of all the major attractions, winery tours and definitely loads of shopping.

Look forward to all the experts advice here. Thank you in advance.

Posted by
973 posts

It looks like you have 9 nights, correct? If you are up to it, I’d go ahead and fast train to Florence (3 nights), CT (2 nights), Rome (4 nights).

I think places like CT, Amalfi Coast Towns and Venice need to be seen at night when the day trippers leave. Much more relaxed and magical.

Posted by
274 posts

I'll echo what Lulu mentioned above - I'd go immediately to Florence rather than splitting your stay in Rome. Checking in and out of hotels, packing up, transit to the train station to get to your next city, etc. will eat up more time than you think, and it will be easier to just go to Florence upon arrival.

Cinque Terre gets massively crowded during the day but is more enjoyable at night, so if you're going to spend the time/effort to go all the way there, I'd recommend spending at least one night. Honestly, in a 9-night trip, CT wouldn't make the cut for me (especially since there aren't really any major attractions or winery tours or shopping that you said interests you), but if you want to go see it, I think 1-2 nights is appropriate.

Have a fun trip!

Posted by
8462 posts

What time would your flight arrive in Rome? If early in the day (before hotel check-in time) I'd just keep moving and head for Florence.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you so much for the advice.

We will land at FCO around 2pm on the 8th. Most likely, have to find a way to get to Florence on the 8th itself.

Posted by
6102 posts

There are a couple direct trains from FCO to Florence but I think you’ll miss
Check Trenitalia.com

Otherwise Leonardo Express train to Termini then fast train to Florence

Honestly with such a short trip I’d skip CT
split your time between Florence and Rome