Please sign in to post.

10 day trip

Hello, I am planning a trip for 3 adults to Italy in early October. We plan to visit Rome, Sienna, Cinque Terre, and Venice; likely in that order. I have traveled through other parts of Europe on trains, and enjoyed it. However, I have never been to Italy. So, is train travel a good idea between those areas? Also, while in Sienna, is it recommended to rent a car? Or is public transportation good in that area? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Posted by
8141 posts

Your trip would be better if you spent sufficient time in the most important cities of Rome, Florence and Venice. Sienna is only an hour from Florence and a bus is the best way to get there. Tuscany is easily seen by rental car, and train travel there is not the greatest.. The Cinque Terre is more of a summer destination than an October trip. Lucca would be a good substitute, however.

Posted by
15807 posts

Kay, it's more accurate to count your sightseeing time by # of nights on the ground rather than days. Arrival days are partials as are relocation days between cities, and departure days don't count so you may have less time to work with than you think you do. So, how many nights will you be spending in Italy?

Also, it's best fly "open jaw": into one city and out of another to eliminate backtracking. In your case, into Venice and out of Rome would be the recommendation. Can you do that?

Oh, Italian trains are great and THE way to travel between most of the locations listed. A car can be a plus for exploring rural Tuscany but I've a feeling you'll have very little time for that unless you drop something...which you may need to do if your 10- day total includes your flight time to Europe and back.

Posted by
2111 posts

Also, while in Sienna, is it recommended to rent a car?

There's no need to rent a car for Siena proper, but you would need one to really see Tuscany. The problem is you just don't have enough time to see the countryside. I'd also drop CT.

List out your itinerary day by day. You need at least 3 full days in Rome and 2 full days in Venice.

Posted by
1232 posts

First, I would fly into Venice and out of Rome. To fly out of Venice, the flights are usually so early in the morning, you may have to start your journey at 3-4 AM.
Cinque Terre is very easy by train.
Yes, you can get a train to Siena (note- it is one "N" so be careful when booking), but it will drop you off at the bottom. You still need to get to the top of the hill. No car, you can't drive in the part of the city you want to visit.
Lastly, I think you have too many places to visit for 10 days (9 nights?) You will spend more time traveling, checking in and out of hotels, etc. than actually seeing the city.

Posted by
1103 posts

I would consider cutting out one of your stops on a trip of this length. On our first trip to Italy, we spent 10 days just in Rome.

Posted by
6047 posts

Your trip would be better if you spent sufficient time in the most important cities of Rome, Florence and Venice. <<

This^^

and this, absolutely!:

First, I would fly into Venice and out of Rome. To fly out of Venice, the flights are usually so early in the morning, you may have to start your journey at 3-4 AM.<

If you have 10 NIGHTs- then 3 Venice 3 Florence, 4 Rome. All easily done by train
If you must visit Siena it is easy as a day trip from Florence but with only 3 nights in Florence - which is really just 2.5 days you don't have much time to begin with.