Please sign in to post.

1 month in italy

Been receiving a lot of negative comments about traveling by car from spello to positano.
We have time and would love to take our time and explore. Is it really that bad of an idea?

Posted by
11184 posts

Two posts with the same title is confusing.

Spello to Positano is a bit over 500 miles. If you 'have the time', I see the only problem being where to park the car in Positano.

April 14 to May 6 is not "a month".

Posted by
15820 posts

It might help others to reference previous posts/threads by the OP on this trip:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/1-month-in-italy-c4ba7839-c3b7-4fd9-bae1-0a2ce4129d00

They want to travel from Spello to Bari to Positano to Rome with a car from 4/25-4/28. zimmermanmc, it helps to put the "Is it a bad idea" into context of time and distance. :O)

As well, the Amalfi Coast - and especially Positano - with a car has its issues, as has previously been pointed out.

Posted by
261 posts

As Jean said at your previous post: "It's your trip." You asked for input and you got it. Ignore or accept, no criticism is intended. We have been to Italy several times and only rent a car to visit Tuscany and Umbria as the bus and train schedules are awkward. Public transport is great. The comments on large ZTL fines are valid - you likely wouldn't even know you were in violation at the time. This past spring, we had a car from FCO to Siena and Spello, then back to FCO after 2 weeks. That worked very well. I recommended taking the train/bus to Positano because even the locals avoid driving there - narrow windy roads, lots of traffic, seldom a parking space and you can't enjoy the scenery. Of course, that is true of the whole Amalfi coast. If you want to take a car to the coast, try parking in Sorrento or Amalfi and bus to Positano. There is nothing wrong with taking time and exploring. The problem is when you are in some locales where a car is a definite liability - an expensive and troublesome liability! And I doubt you would enjoy driving and navigating in those places.

Posted by
7307 posts

Hi, I’m not sure how creating a new post because you didn’t like people’s previous answers will help. We’re volunteers on a travel forum sincerely trying to give you solid advice from our own travel experiences. Just because we give different answers than you apparently want to hear, it makes us all wonder why you’re asking for advice, then.

As I mentioned in my reply to your last post you created yesterday, it is your trip, and you should do what you want.