Please sign in to post.

1 day. In Florence

What would you do? There are so many amazing museums, but I want to be sure to see the city (not just the insides of buildings). I've read through Rick's chapter and still am unsure of a best plan to approach the city over one long day.

We arrive late on Saturday night, and leave Monday morning-- so we have a full day to pack in as much of the city as we can. I know everyone has their own favorites -- so I'd love to hear what you think are the highlights!

Thanks in advance!
Erin

Posted by
1994 posts

I would suggest booking a really good quality walking tour… A private one if you can afford it. You don't mention when you were going, but Florence is likely to be crowded on a Sunday at most times of the year. A guide will be able to get you around, through the crowds, most efficiently, and also help you enjoy what you're seeing. The RS guidebook has recommendations for private guides. Context Florence will also do private walking tours, and I've use the many times; they're great.

Posted by
663 posts

The first order of business is to figure out what is closed and if anything you want to see has reduced hours if you are only there for 1 day. My Italy guide is from2012, so it may not be 100% accurate. It looks as if the dome of the cathedral is closed, so hopefully that isn't tops on your list. Also, the museum and cloisters are closed in Santa Maria Novella. Lots of other places are open during different hours than other days.... Too many for me to list, and no idea how up to date it would be anyway.

The rick Steve's guide does have a "Renaissance walk" that takes you thru the heart of Florence. While I was there I took a walking tour thru Artviva that was pretty interesting. And don't forget that Florence has the BEST gelato in all of Italy, so be sure to stop I a couple places... Just be sure to ask the price because I was ripped off at one place in Florence with gelato that was WAY overpriced. Look for Grom, it's excellent.

Posted by
15582 posts

I've been to Florence 3 times, for short visits, 2-4 days each. Every time I go back I like it more. Resign yourself to the fact that you can't see it all, then choose what most appeals to your personal tastes. I love sculpture, so the Academia (David is one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen) and the Bargello are among my favorites. But many many people go to Florence and never enter the Bargello, yet have a wonderful time.

Posted by
1883 posts

I'd grab the book "Top Ten Florence" and use that as a guide. My personal favorites for a day?

1. the Duomo. Go inside, and then climb to the top of the dome. (if the line is long, then walk up the Baptistry tower instead)
  2. Go across the Arno to Michelangelo Hill...great view of the city, walk a little further up the hill to the church.
  3. Visit Ponte Vecchio....just to window shop ( you can do this as you walk across the Arno to Michelangelo Hill
  4. Visit the market (San Lorenzo) and get your lunch there. Find some great olive oil or dried mushrooms or a spice to bring home. Look for small leather goods at the shops behind the outdoor displays.
  5. Stop by the Uffuzi...you don't have to go in to the museum, but it's great to see the copy of the David and enjoy the people watching in the small square.
  6. If you can plan ahead and if the museum with the David is open, pre-plan, buy your tickets on line now and plan your day around seeing the David (it really won't take you more than 30min to an hour to enjoy this- the rest of the museum is very small, it's all about the statue)
  7. Grab some gelato (find a shop on a side street, not one of the large shops selling ice cream on the main streets - way too expensive, and the quality is not good. ONLY buy from shops where the gelato is not stacked so high it looks like mountains...that's not the good stuff! The display looks tempting, but it's not good stuff!

Everything is very walkable. No need for a taxi or a bus. All of this should fill your day.

Posted by
77 posts

Personally, if I had just one day in Florence, I would start my day climbing to the top of the Duomo to overlook the city, then head to Mercato Centrale for lunch (a panino di manzo con salsa verde is so delicious). I enjoy wandering the leather markets, people-watching in Piazza della Repubblica, strolling along the Arno, and maybe catching a concert at La Pergola theatre depending on what's playing. At night there are tons of wonderful dining options. My ideal day is a lot of meandering and soaking in the city, but if you've never been to Florence you'd definitely want to incorporate some sightseeing. Here's one brutal itinerary for a fast paced day loaded with sightseeing:
8:30 Accademia (David)--reserve in advance or get a Firenze Card.
10:00 Take Renaissance Walk through town center and climb the Campanile.
12:00 Bargello (best statues).
13:30 Grab a quick lunch in or near the Mercato Centrale.
14:00 Shopping around San Lorenzo.
16:30 Uffizi Gallery (finest paintings)--reserve well in advance or get a Firenze Card.
19:30 Take the Oltrarno Walk (best local color) and have dinner across the river at 21:00.

Posted by
11613 posts

If you go to the Accademia, give it an hour. The David is, well, the David, but the sculptures leading up to it are fascinating; unfinished, you can see Michelangelo's process for his work. My favorite is the Saint Matthew. There are a couple of small galleries upstais with medieval and renaissance paintings.