Please sign in to post.

Which hotel ??

Hello I just started the research for our trip to Rome and some Amalfi coast towns. It’s myself, husband and two adult daughters. Our first stop is Rome early September for 2 nights. (Will probably be back for one night when we return home). Based on Steve’s Rome book I was looking at Aberdeen, Sonya, Lancelot and Fontanella which I saw many times mentioned in this forum. I am not looking to spend too much but I’m looking for something nice, comfortable and centrally located to walk to and transportation. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Posted by
1819 posts

I can only talk about the Aberdeen as I have not stayed at the others. I have stayed at the Aberdeen 3 times and always found it clean, quiet, a good location near the Termini and close to a major bus line and the underground. I am not sure if they have family rooms though, so you may need to book two rooms. My only complaint is the beds tend to be hard and the pillows small, but that is true of many Italian hotels. Also, you might get more responses if you posted this in the Italy destination section rather than this section which is usually for reviews of restaurants and hotels.

Posted by
133 posts

Thank you Laurie I will move my post as you suggested.

Posted by
4675 posts

We were at the Aberdeen in 2015. Unless it's been significantly redecorated, I'd recommend staying ANYWHERE else!

Posted by
3961 posts

We've stayed twice around the corner from the Aberdeen Hotel at Hotel Residenza Cellini. www.hotelresidenzacellini.it Well appointed large rooms, short distance to Termini, quiet location, 15 min. walk to Trevi Fountain, Villa Borghese, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Collosseum. Ample buffet breakfast.

Posted by
133 posts

Hi

Pat- wow that bad?

Janis- Thanks. I’ll check it out like the proximity to the tourist spots.

Posted by
919 posts

I stayed at the Aberdeen in 2009 and thought it was fine. Granted, that’s almost 10 years ago to the month, and the only thing I’d say is that the bedspreads were a little 1980s Days Inn looking but everything was clean and bathroom seemed recently renovated—at that time. Loved the breakfast room.

(Full disclosure - stayed there on a Rick Steves tour and had one of the quieter rooms in the back.)

Posted by
257 posts

That is kind of a hit and run by Pat in her comment about the Aberdeen. I have stayed there several times and found exactly the opposite, the décor was just fine. Perhaps she likes Sheraton or Marriott hotels instead. This is an Italian hotel that has character, and Rick would not use it on his tours if it was not a good hotel. The front desk people are very helpful, speak English and are very friendly. I would not hesitate to stay with them anytime. Close to the bus stop on Via Nazionale and easy walking distance to the train station and Metro stop.

Posted by
1056 posts

Don’t know what the problem was that the earlier poster had with the Aberdeen. I like it very much and recommend it heartily.

Posted by
1819 posts

Rachel, those bedspreads were still around a few years later when I stayed there, but I still was happy with the hotel. Funny thing though, my favorite hotel in London still hangs on to very similar bedspreads. However, they updated their bathrooms which are lovely and if I had to choose, I'd choose updated bathrooms over bedspreads every time.

Posted by
133 posts

Thank you all. Aberdeen is still on top of my list for location and price. Still looking.

Posted by
1059 posts

My wife and I stated at Hotel Aberdeen in 2015 and liked it a lot. We would stay there again.

Posted by
8293 posts

The Hotel Diana, close to Termini, is where we stayed about 3 years ago. It was part of a cruise, air and hotel package so I wasn't expecting too much, but it was very nice. Excellent breakfast and a roof top terrace.

Posted by
4675 posts

Perhaps rooms in the Aberdeen may vary, but many in our 2015 RS tour group were pretty grumpy due to the lack of rest at that hotel. I don't want to start a war here.
You all make your judgements based on the following:
Our room was on the inner courtyard, above the huge hotel entrance door, which was a large metal gate, which echoed as it clanged loudly all night long as patrons entered and left the lobby. Also, being on the small inner courtyard, there was no natural air flow [or air conditioning] and everyone was begging for fans, in April. The beds were extremely hard, there was no other comfortable seating in the room, we had to unplug the lamp to find an outlet to charge our phones, the room very small, no real decoration [so no charm], the front desk complained when our tour group gathered in the lobby, and the computer area furniture was worn and dirty. The breakfast was fine, the location good, and the area was safe. I don't remember the bathroom, so it was probably ok.
At a later date, when I was on the phone with the RS company, planning a subsequent trip, the gal on the phone admitted the hotel was "pretty basic."
Has it improved since then?

Posted by
3961 posts

Interesting that last thread repeated my previous posting with an unusual link that I would not use. Reported.

Posted by
215 posts

We booked Albergo del Senato in Rome. It was highly recommended by a few travelers on the forum here. In Positano we booked a B&B because that was all that was left in July - Casa Nina. Friends have stayed in Hotel Positea and enjoyed it and Villa Treville if money is no option!

Posted by
4796 posts

Not sure if the Fontanella you mentioned is the same as this one. We have stayed at Hotel Fontanella Borghese many times and have always been pleased. While it is not "luxury", it is very nice and the location is great. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You can walk to Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Nuvona, even Vatican city. They also have a sister hotel closer to the Pantheon called Hotel Due Torri. We always send an email directly with our request for a booking and we get an answer back in 24 hours or less. Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard as rooms overlooking the side street can get noisy. The web site is www.fontanellaborghese.com.

Posted by
598 posts

Another vote for the Aberdeen. Clean, decent rooms, good location, good breakfast, great staff. Fancy it is not. But I will always stay there when in Rome. Good luck with your planning and buon viaggio!

Posted by
2181 posts

We’ve stayed at the Sonya (with a RS tour 10 years ago) and Hotel Rafaello this last trip. We were pleased with both. I think we had room 506 at Hotel Rafaello and it came with a little patio area. It had a nice breakfast and coffee and tea service available all day. We had fond memories of the staff at the Sonya because when our return airline went on strike they helped us connect with the airlines through a local channel to get a return flight.