Please sign in to post.

Venice Restaurants

Excellent value = Miti American Bar 666 Santa Croce Great prices, decent selection, tasted great, owner came out and spent time with us. Situated in a nice neighborhood setting.

Not so great= Rosa Rossa San Marco
Went based on many recommendation on Rick Steve's. We didn't have an issue, just was not that impressed for the cost. Basically, nothing special and a little too pricey.

Posted by
3844 posts

Thanks for the tip, we are going to Venice for one day soon. Have been there a few times and we never seem to find a good meal, for any price.

Posted by
2393 posts

Thanks fabris! I thought I was the only person who had trouble finding a good meal in Venice. We did finally have one at Al Chianti -

San Marco 655 | Calle Larga San Mar, Venice, Italy (San Marco)
+39 0415224385

The meal was lovely - the only problem was while we were inside having dinner the streets were flooding! Some places were knee deep - you could buy plastic bags like grocery bags for 2 Euros each or boots for about 15! I was so glad I had my Google maps - I was able to find a route home that was not flooded!

Posted by
1994 posts

I really enjoyed R Antica Sacristia, a few minutes from San Marco. Atmosphere, food, and service were all enjoyable. Had a great pizza lunch, as well as a more formal dinner on another day. Reservations or early dining would be a good idea.

Posted by
25 posts

A delicatessen we really enjoyed in March was Meier Delicatessen. There are several in Venice, but we particularly liked the one in the Ghetto near the train station.

Posted by
233 posts

So glad to hear that Rosa Rossa wasn't worth it! We almost went there (but ended up across the way at Al Vaporetto). From just looking at the menu, I agree the prices at Rosa Rossa seemed high for what you would get.

Posted by
1 posts

I was in Venice in June and stopped at Ristorante Pizzeria Dolfin at Santa Croce 81, 30135 Venice for dinner as it was near our hotel. The food was good, the prices were reasonable and the service excellent. Sufficiently so, in fact, that we went a second time during our stay.

Posted by
3844 posts

Thank you Christi, will be in Venice Tuesday with 6 others, will recommend Al Chianti and hope they agree - group travel is fun, but compromising is always on the menu, especially with family! Will let you know what happens.

Posted by
3844 posts

Just returned from Croatia, but went to Venice for one day, we were 6 people. After much discussion and thought we decided to bring sandwiches and some snacks with us since we figured the time and money we spent on eating could be better spent on a museum or boat ride. Glad we did! The prices of even coffee are outrageous. We don't mind spending since we are on vacation, but Venice prices are just a rip off. We checked at a cafe on St Mark's square and a small, and I mean small, bottle of coke was 10€. I understand it is St Mark's square, but come on! ended up having a great day and the sandwiches tasted extra good when we saw all the prices! Rick suggests sometimes a picnic is a great alternative and this time he was right.