Please sign in to post.

Venice hotel recommendation

Hello, my husband and I will be in Venice for two nights in mid June and need a hotel recommendation. We are looking for something somewhat higher end, with a canal view and in good walking distance to the main attractions.
Thanks!

Posted by
27057 posts

I recommend reposting your inquiry in the regular Italy forum; more people will see it there. I travel on the opposite end of the economic continuum, so I can't help you myself.

Your stay is very short, so a conveniently located hotel would be very beneficial. "The main attractions" means different things to different people. The Rialto Market and Piazza San Marco are quite close together, but they are some distance (vaporetto service available) from the train station. The Guggenheim Collection and the Accademia are in Dorsoduro, a different part of the city, and of course there are historically and artistically important churches all over. If you can tell us about your sightseeing plans, it will help folks give you targeted hotel suggestions.

Posted by
60 posts

We have stayed at NH Collection Venezia Palazzo Barocci, which is a lovely hotel on the Grand Canal and right next to a vaporetto stop. They have canal view and non-canal view rooms, both are very nice. Staff there is wonderful! It is withing walking distance to many attractions, BUT you will likely find that in Venice walking distance is somewhat subjective because it's very easy to get lost and takes much longer to walk places than you think! That is the fun of Venice, but can also be a bit frustrating. Taking the vaporetto is easy, inexpensive and very enjoyable, so you may decide to reassess and use that in addition to or rather than walking.

Posted by
27057 posts

I love Venice and agree that vaporetti can be very handy. I would argue, though, that they are not inexpensive at 9.50 euros per ride. A 48-hour pass costs 35 euros, I believe.

Posted by
2700 posts

Venice has a good selection of upscale hotels. The Gritti Palace has the best location and the canal view rooms are superb as is the restaurant. If price is no object, hands down it’s the best. Hotel Danielli is excellent and used by Tauck Tours (upscale). The Cipriani is legendary but requires their shuttle to get back and forth to Venice proper. Ditto JW Marriott.

Posted by
1 posts

Al Ponte Antico. We stayed there for 4 nights last April. Could not recommend it more highly. Sits right on the Grand Canal. You can have breakfast or drinks on the patio overlooking the Rialto Bridge. The staff and owners were incredible.