Please sign in to post.

Venice hotel booked -

Thank you for your suggestions. We have booked the Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo- Venezia.
One other question I had was, 'would you recommend taking the Alilaguna from Marco Polo airport?

Hi - my husband and I have booked a Mediterranean cruse for next year, May 3 - May 13, 2022. We are planning on coming in a couple of days earlier to Venice. we were wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a hotel/boutique hotel or airbnb?
We would prefer more of a traditional hotel, stairs are not a concern and we have no set budget in mind. Thank you

Posted by
4086 posts

Loved https://alpontemocenigo.com/ it's about a 10-15 minute walk from St Mark's Square, easy to find and right off a Vaporetto stop. It's where we stayed for 5 days before our cruise.

Posted by
32733 posts

what price point? Modern or traditional?

Stairs ok or need lift/elevator?

Any mobility difficulty?

In the centre of things or away from the hustle and bustle?

Flying in or by train?

What level of amenities?

Posted by
2738 posts

Will give a second to the Mocenigo. We liked it so much we stayed there on our second time. Great staff and breakfast. Based on their booking engine it appears they have stayed in business.

Posted by
8657 posts

Hotel dell’ Opera
Corte De Gabriella
Hotel San Moise
Novecento Boutique Hotel

All different price ranges.

Posted by
4820 posts

Not sure what you consider a traditional hotel, but we've stayed at Pensione Guerrato several time and have always been pleased. It's near the Rialto Bridge, but far enough away to avoid the big crowds. It you decide to stay there let us know as we can give you specific directions to cut down on the amount of walking to the hotel hauling luggage. There are two cruise ports in Venice. Let us know which you'll be using as we've cruised from there and can give you detailed information about getting to the port.

Posted by
6113 posts

For a quiet location, but within easy reach of the main sights, I liked Ai Mori d’Oriente in Cannaregio. We got a free room upgrade. The staff were very helpful. Some hotels there would be too noisy for my taste.

Posted by
3961 posts

We would highly recommend the lovely Hotel Flora. www.hotelflora.it. This charming hotel has been family run for over 50 years. It is a 17th century Palazzo set near San Marco Square, but in a quiet area that includes an internal courtyard, aptly named the "magical garden." Our room overlooked the beautiful garden. There are stairs and an elevator. The delicious breakfast was all homemade and was served either indoors or the garden. The hotel was also conveniently located just 5 minutes from the vaporetto stop. We had recommendations from several friends who stayed there. We spent a week there and didn't want to leave.

Posted by
2730 posts

I recommend Rosa Salve Hotel https://www.rosasalvahotel.it/?lang=en Superb customer service, especially when SIL lost her passport and they contacted multiple police to help find it (passport was found and returned). Not the cheapest hotel in San Marco but affordable. It is less than 5 minute walk to San Marco Square and and only slightly more to Rialto Bridge.

Posted by
1030 posts

We've stayed twice at Pensione Guerrato and loved it (https://hotelguerrato.com/). Its recommended in RS's guidebook. Its a small, family-run, traditional place. It couldn't be more traditional, dating to the 13th century.

Pros: Very close to Rialto Bridge, two vaporetto stops (Mercato de Rialto, and Rialto), a fish market, and a pleasant square (San Giacomo) and a number of great-atmosphere restaurants right on the Grand Canal. Breakfast is included, and the staff provides great information.

Cons: The hotel itself is not on the Canal, but our room had a partial view of it. Its on a quiet narrow lane which is somewhat dark, so no great lobby / patio. The hotel is on the upper floors only so there are 1-2 flights of stairs involved.

In our view, the best value for money in Venice. There are nicer, but so much more expensive, and anything else in its price range is nowhere near as nice.

Posted by
4086 posts

'would you recommend taking the Alilaguna from Marco Polo airport?

I won't say "no" because we didn't take it, but we did consider it and then rejected it. If I remember correctly it can take about an hour to get into Venice using Alilaguna and then from the closest stop near the Rialto Bridge you're still going to have quite a windy walk to get to your hotel (you will get lost in Venice). There is an ATVO shuttle bus for about 8-10 Euros that is non stop to Piazzale Roma. From there you can hop on a vaporetto (water bus) to your stop and the hotel is just down the street.

Posted by
1030 posts

We took Alilaguna from Rialto to the airport, mostly because its just such a fun and unique way to get to an airport. We also found it convenient as you only have to worry about one trip as opposed to making a connection at Piazzale Roma for the bus.

You won't have that long a walk as you can take Alilaguna all the way to San Stae which is the closest vaporetto stop to your hotel.

Posted by
11147 posts

Take the alilaguna, fun experience, less expensive than water taxi.

Posted by
32733 posts

I've used the Alilaguna exactly once in all my trips to Venice and that was enough to tell me that I would never use it again.

It was a fair distance from the terminal, outside in the open air (the bus stops right outside the door). Granted that now there is a moving pavement system which I have never seen, but with luggage that walk wasn't much fun. Then there was a wait, and the schedule appeared to be a general guideline. We waited until there was a full load.

The seating was benches around the perimeter of the front cabin, with luggage left outside upstairs on the central deck. So down stairs and look for two places together. The front cabin was relatively small and narrow, smelly and with fumes, and you sort of could see out the windows which were above head level. Except they were caked in salt from the water splashes so visibility was poor at best, and you weren't looking straight out the window because it was high. Once in Venice you could see a little of buildings which were higher. By craning around looking out the open passage back up the stairs you could see some of the boats passing behind - that was a better view than out the windows. It makes several stops depending on which colour route you have chosen and which stop you need.

Neither my wife nor I enjoyed it, and I love mucking about on boats. It is highly unlikely that we will use the Alilaguna again. FWIW

Posted by
3961 posts

We had a positive experience in 2018 when we took the Alilaguna (orange line) from the Airport. It was morning and it was us and a few others. We were the last off the boat and stood up on the stairs most of the way. Wonderful view, beautiful day and a pleasant introduction to Venice. Our stop was Santa Maria del Giglio and it was less than a five minute walk to our hotel.

Posted by
1206 posts

I vote with Allen and Nigel on this. I took the Alilaguna once and that was enough - down a few tight steep stairs, sitting on bench seats almost below the water line, smelling diesel fumes with basically no view because of salt-encrusted dirty windows. No thanks. It was just as easy to take the bus and then the vaporetto, as described. The stop for Al Ponte Mocenigo is (I believe) only 4 vaporetto stops from Piazzale Roma. If you don't get a seat on the vaporetto no big deal because you'll only be on it for less than 15 minutes. I find being on the vaporetto for those 15 minutes to be a much more beautiful and exciting way to enter Venice than on the Alilaguna. Also: the bus stop is a much shorter walk once you exit the airport than is the loading area for the Alilaguna. Edit: the vaporetto line that you want is a #1. There are several vaporetto loading areas at Piazzale Roma. Buy your ticket - or day or 3-day pass at the window on your left as you approach the Canal from the bus. Then look for the loading area for the #1 line.

Posted by
1823 posts

I loved Al Ponte Mocenigo when I stayed there a few years ago. The Pensione Guerrato which others have mentioned is also very nice. The atmosphere of both hotels would qualify as traditional for Venice I guess; not sure what this means. However, 2 things about the Al Ponte Mocenigo I always remember: 1. the outdoor courtyard which is really great for a refreshing drink on a warm afternoon of walking around. 2. The neighborhood is a little further from the crowd near Rialto and you feel less like a tourist. About transportation from the airport, if this is your first visit to Venice I recommend a water taxi. Yes, it is more expensive, but the experience of arriving on the island with your own boat and driver is never to be forgotten. My best experiences in Venice have always been just walking around and 'being there.' I find a local bar for a quick stop for a coffee or later a drink, a local restaurant where I can sit outside, small streets where I can just wander. If you have never read any of Donna Leon's mysteries about Venice I would recommend you do so before your trip. You get a real feeling for the various neighborhoods and the culture of the place.

Posted by
75 posts

We like Hotel Giorgione I the Cannaregio district. You can take the Aliguna from the airport to Fondamente Neuve and it’s a short walk from there. I love the experience of taking the Aliguna from the airport. That being said, we will probably take a water taxi on our next visit because of the arrival time.

Posted by
11147 posts

We took the Allilaguna from the Venice airport, easy and nice to be out on the water.