Please sign in to post.

Ulisse Deluxe Hostel, Sorrento

We stayed at Ulisse in early October. While the hotel is nice and clean, and breakfast is ok (but you pay 10 euro each for it), be aware that the hallways are marble, and with a group of loud teenagers also booked at the hotel, it was noisy. The sound echos. A lot. The management did help, but the problem returned. Also, the water was never really hot. We didn't have time to arrange a tour through this organization, so the hotel booked one for us. It was terrible. We didn't see anything beautiful. Just lots of cheapo tourist shops and a 15 minute walk through each town (Positano, etc.) , which were unguided. The Blue Grotto was a zoo, although I'm not sure they really could have helped us navigate that fiasco any easier. For 50 euro each, it was a colossal waste of money. Wish I could remember the name of the company, but beware of the hotel recommendations.

Posted by
3597 posts

After more than 30 years of traveling in Europe, I have garnered a certain amount of wisdom regarding lodgings. I rarely accept the recommendation of a guidebook, by itself. At the very least, I check on TripAdvisor and the reviews on Booking.com. I read the negatives closely. Comments about noise are a big red flag to me. Of course all tourists won't have the experience of loud groups being in their hotel; but I for one don't want to stay where that might be a problem. It also helps to have a sense of what niche a guidebook is aimed at. I wouldn't look at any guides intended for college students or backpackers, for example; and I include the RS guides in that class. I know that they list many quite nice places, but it's too hit-or-miss for me. He (or his staff) seem to have a greater tolerance for a lot of stuff that I'm beyond accepting.
BTW, Barbara, I think you should add a post about your day trip on "Trip Reports" or "Day Trips." Several years ago, we did the Emerald Grotto. It was much like what I've seen in the videos of the Blue Grotto. I can't see what all the excitement is about these really expensive, ultra-touristy experiences. I think the locals have figured out just another way to fleece tourists.

Posted by
6293 posts

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. We stayed at Ulisse last summer - early June, if I recall correctly, and had a lovely stay. The room was large, spotlessly clean, and very quiet. We never heard anyone else, even when folks were eating or lounging in the area nearest our room. We did skip the breakfasts, because the hotel would not honor the rate shown in the RS guide.

Posted by
3 posts

I stayed at Ulisse last Mary on a rick Steves tour and I thought it was perfect for my stay. The rooms was very very clean, the bed comfortable and the office staff lovely it had a large bathroom and the breakfast was amazing. Great location...some walking to get to town but thru the narrow shopping alleys with lots of fun things to buy. Overall. A very pleasant exterience.