Please sign in to post.

Tuscany Accommodations

Where would you suggest staying if my husband and I are renting a car in Florence and plan to go to Tuscan wineries in May? We would like our accommodations to be centrally located to several wineries and we love gourmet food. I would like specific recommendations on accommodations, wineries to visit and restaurants. Thanks so much!

Posted by
1368 posts

Jdernst1, your question would be better served & responded to if it was under the Destination Q&A tab, either General Europe or Italy. This section is for reviews of places individuals post that the enjoyed or disliked during their trip.

Posted by
138 posts

Last year we stayed at Villa Vignamaggio near Greve in Chanti and they have a winery and we did their sunset dinner and wine tour, the small town of Lamole near by has an excellent restaurant and many nice drives around there with wineries and hill towns. Greve is a nice small town where we ate most nights. Make sure you have a GPS so you don't get lost on the back roads. The Villa is over 600 years old and has been a working farm where Leonardo di Vinci was a guest and it is said the Mona Lisa was actually the owners daughter. Enjoy!

Posted by
11 posts

The hill town of San Gimignano was an incredible little town. Stayed at Hotel La Cisterna, probably the largest room I stayed in in all of Italy. Not sure about the number of wineries in the area, but I assume it is a bunch. Vineyards in every direction you looked from the hill.
The town gets busy during the day w/ all the bus trippers. Evenings are great, nearly a ghost town after dark, an occasional string band in the Piazza della Cisterna. I was fortunate to have a full moon over the towers while I was there. Walking around at night I rarely saw anyone.
Much smaller than Florence and very clean & friendly. A night or two visit is plenty to see the town and do some fantastic shopping at a wide variety of shops, many containing a good selection of local wines.