Please sign in to post.

Tuscany

I’m interested in recommendations on B&Bs or hotels for one or two weeks in Tuscany for me and my husband. We will be there late October and early November 2021. Thank you.

To add where we are interested, anywhere!

More detail for those who’d like it: we are flying into Florence, then returning to Florence to return car and then take a train toward southern Italy for more exploring. So while in Tuscany, we will be driving and can cover some distance to stay two weeks by breaking our stay into two spots. Although, we would prefer to take a train from Florence if that’s possible to get to a nice spot! That’d be better than driving!

We have lots of flexibility as we normally book just about everything well in advance; however, with changing covid restrictions, we are careful to not book too far ahead of time. We prefer larger towns with an “old town” type area that’s walkable; you know, the “Rick Steves type place”. I hope that helps.

Posted by
1669 posts

Tuscany is a big region. What places do you want to visit. That would help provide a central base. Will you be driving or just using the train.

Posted by
7355 posts

We're staying for a week in early October (a month from now) at a small place outside Castagneto Carducci, a hilltown, close to the ocean, and very near a major ancient Estruscan site. It's 5 miles inland, about 30 miles south of Livorno, 60 miles south of Lucca, and about 75 miles southwest of Florence, so a bit away from some of the busier places in Tuscany. The owners do cooking classes (single or for even weeklong), and rent out 2 apartments above their home. If you're looking for a hotel or B&B that serves breakfast, this probably won't work, but you can fix your own in your kitchen - recipes downstairs. I can give more details if you're interested.

Posted by
11156 posts

You need to focus on what part of Tuscany you are interested in. As others have stated, it is a large area.

Posted by
52 posts

More detail appended by edit to original request. Thanks so far, everyone!

Posted by
11156 posts

You need a car to enjoy Tuscany. Pick it up as you leave Florence. You will miss a lot and waste time if you just use public transportation. We usually stay in the Chianti area , near Siena… Castellina, Panzano, Radda. We also have stayed in Cortona.

Umbria is wonderful too. We stayed in Spello.

Posted by
63 posts

Driving in Tuscany is easy and since it’s very countryside-like, there’s no stress like in the bigger cities. Renting a car also gives you freedom to move. I’d pick up and return a car in Florence (or drop in Siena, Cortona, or on toward Rome if heading there). I’d base in Montepulciano. Rick has good recommendations in his book. You’d be striking distance to many lovely towns - Montalcino for expensive wines, Pienza for beautiful scenery and cheese, Cortona for scenes of work a day Tuscany, and all the lovely places in between. It depends on your budget as to where you should stay. Most of Tuscany is made up of small old towns. Florence and Siena are large but Siena gets sleepy at night. Volterra is biggish but sleepy at night. San Gimignano is also sleepy at night. If you want a city, stay in Florence and day trip from there. You might find a hotel with parking so you can move in and out as you please. Driving to and from Florence each day means a driver cannot enjoy the wine paired with the wonderful food. I found an itinerary with overnights throughout Tuscany allowed targeted experiences - Florence, San Gimignano, Volterra, Montalcino, Cortona, Montepulciano, Siena, and it was amazing.