Please sign in to post.

Turin recommendations?

Ideas for cafes/restaurants, sightseeing, walking tours, tour guids, hotels/AirBnB? I will be there for three days in September. Flying in from Madrid, then train/bus to Bolzano.

Posted by
3166 posts

Enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Concord, Via Lagrange 47. A short walk from the Porta Nuova RR station. This is a very nice, modern business type hotel. Large comfortable rooms and great complimentary breakfast.

For great food, enjoy lunch or dinner at Pastificio de Filippis, less than a five minute walk at Via Lagrange 39.

Check out the National Automobile Museum, Egyptian Museum and Royal Palace.

Posted by
970 posts

It's been a while, since the 2006 Olympics, but I liked the Museo Nationale del Cinema inside the Mole Antonelliana.

Posted by
14 posts

When we were in Turin (Torino), we visited the Egyptian Museum (quite interesting), the cathedral, the museum for the Holy Shroud, and the Royal House of Savoy. Everything was great.

Posted by
60 posts

We visited in September of 2023. Stayed at Hotel Opera 35. Very nice. Had a great dinner at Mille Restaurant on Via deli Mille. Short walk from hotel. Excellent staff and nice wine was suggested by them.

Hired a guide named Matteo Gazzarata +39 335 565 4663. Suggested by Lisa Anderson, a Rick Steves guide.

Posted by
769 posts

Big fans of Turin. I'll give you more than you can fit into three days, but at least you can pick and choose.

Start with the Museo Nazionale dell'Automobile and the Mole Antonelliana Cinema museum. Two of the best museums in Europe in my opinion. The Egyptian Museum is probably worth seeing too, but I wasn't a huge fan.

Other sites to consider:

• Eataly Torino Lingotto is the original Eataly, and well worth the trip. Also, look for the small exhibit dedicated to the history of Carpano, up on the second floor. Some great artifacts, posters, etc.
  • Palatine Gate is an incredibly well-preserved Roman site.
  • Galleria Subalpina; nice little gem of a covered arcade. High-end stores inside
  • Borgo Medievale is a bit of a novelty -- a small "medieval village" built for one of Turin's world's fairs. The main attraction was under renovation last year, so you might double check that. But the whole village is rather amusing and rests in a larger, very nice park along the river. Good for just walking around if you need some green space.
  • Pull up a walking tour or similar of Turin's Art Nouveau (the Liberty style), but our favorite is the Casa Fenoglio-Lafleur

Food and drink: (all of these should pop up on Google Maps or similar). And of course, one of the attractions of Eataly is eating onsite as well

• Ristorante Enoteca Parlapà
  • Ristorante Consorzio
  • Mai Thai 2 (just in case you want a break from Italian....yeah, right!)
  • Enoteca Di Brosio Murru Antonella (looks like a store only but a little wine bar area to the side)
  • Pastificio Giustetto (historic gourmet grocer with esoteric homemade pastas to go)
  • Birrificio Torino (local craft beer)
  • La Santa Wine & Spirits Torino (very cool wine and cocktail bar)
  • Vermuttino (exactly what is sounds like -- vermouth cocktail bar)

Finally, for anyone going to Bolzano I always put in a plug to visit Castel Roncolo outside of town. Some of the best scenes of medieval life preserved on the walls.

Posted by
291 posts

In addition to the other sights mentioned, we enjoyed the Palazzo Madama, which was the home of the mother of the King of Savoy, and built on Roman ruins, which are visible through the clear floors.

I suggest before you go, to watch the original 1969 comedy caper movie The Italian Job, with Michael Caine, which takes place in Turin. The escapades of the group of crooks throughout the city, including the classic drive of mini coopers down the steps of the Cathedral, is a classic (listen as they shout “Congratulations” to the wedding couple. It’s a hoot & a half!