Please sign in to post.

Spanish steps

Can anyone recommend a hotel near the Spanish steps?

Posted by
23267 posts

You really should put this question in the Italy Q and A section as you did with your other similar questions. This section is for reviewing hotels.

PS I would stay anywhere near the Spanish steps. It is a zoo with tourists.

Posted by
7209 posts

I think Frank meant to say he would NOT stay anywhere near the Spanish Steps - and I agree wholeheartedly.

But if you really want to stay there the 5-star Hotel Hassler is located at the top of the stairs - can't get much closer than that.

Posted by
11156 posts

We stayed near The Spanish Steps on our first visit to Rome, never again. Look at Piazza Navona and Pantheon areas to stay.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you all for your feedback, no Spanish Steps for us! Has anyone stayed in the Monti area?

Posted by
4828 posts

Don't know what your budget is, but here is a place you should check out. We have stayed at Hotel Fontanella Borghese many times and have always been pleased. While it is not "luxury", it is very nice and the location is great. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You can walk to Spanish Steps (but it is far enough away to avoid the mob scenes), Pantheon, Nuvona, even Vatican city. Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard as rooms overlooking the side street can get noisy. The web site is www.fontanellaborghese.com. We always send an email directly with our request for a booking and we get an answer back in 24 hours or less. Check it out and see what you think. They also have a sister hotel closer to the Pantheon called Hotel Due Torri.

Posted by
390 posts

I see that you have decided against staying near the Spanish Steps...but I want to reply to your original question by saying that I have had very positive experiences staying at Hotel San Carlo near the Spanish Steps twice - one on a Rick Steves Venice/Florence/Rome tour in June 2017 and again in Dec. 2017. I liked the hotel's proximity to the Metro and the staff's friendly service.

Posted by
154 posts

Hassler is overrated to me. If you want to stay by the Hassler, then stay a few doors down at the Intercontinental. I do like the il Rampo restaraunt at the base of the steps but climbing them every night was hard and every day it seemed that we were going down by the Parthenon or piazza navona area. BTW we did a segway tour by night thru I think, Rex tours (or something that reminded me of dinosaurs) and it was wonderful and a unique way to see everything at night

Posted by
5697 posts

Regarding Monti -- we tried it last spring and were blown away every time we walked to the end of the block and saw the Colosseum !! Boutique Grifone, B&B where you share a kitchen and make your own breakfast (juice, cheese, eggs, bread provided) Good A/C!!