Please sign in to post.

Rome hotel recommendations

Hello
We will be in Rome 3 nights pre-cruise. Researching hotels and rather overwhelmed. Thinking Pantheon or Trevi area but open. Would love recommendations. Thanks.
Susie

Posted by
8 posts

We just finished 5 nights at the Baglioni Regina and loved the hotel and the area. It's just far enough removed from the very busy areas around the major sites, but easily walkable to them.

Posted by
4828 posts

We've stayed at Hotel Fontanella Borghese several times as the location is great. You can walk to The Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Nuvona, even Vatican City. We've always been pleased as it is very nice, but not over the top. The Hotel Du Tor, which is closer to Nuvona, was operated by the same nice folks at one time was and may still be run by them.

Posted by
67 posts

I returned from Rome a week ago having stayed in a standard room at the Hotel Raffello at Via Urbana 3. It depends on your budget. There are hotels with snazzier bathrooms and perhaps a view but I was absolutely fine with Hotel Raffaello. It was an 12” walk from the train station, on a quiet street, friendly staff, felt safe. absolutely clean and had everything I needed. I could walk in 20” to the Forum, Piazza Navona, the Capitoline Museums , etc. and in ten minutes to the farmacia for my Covid test. There were some good restaurants nearby but there were also some further away restaurants that I walked to but took a taxi back to the hotel (taxi rides ran from 10 Euros to 15 Euros). I have seen photos or walked by hotels that might have more charm or a sense of luxury, but I had a great trip in Rome without spending what I would consider an excessive amount on a hotel.

Posted by
23267 posts

Our preference over the years is the Termini area - Aberdeen and Sonya. The area is a bit busy but convenient to the transportation hub at Termini. You can still walk to nearly everything. The Vatican is about an hour hike but just catch a bus at Termini. Nice restaurants in the area and you can easily catch the train to Civit..... for your cruise ship. We have taken four cruises out of Rome.

Posted by
47 posts

We really liked Hotel Smeraldo. They location is great. Next to Campo de Fiori, Pantheon and walking distance to Trastevere, Spanish Steps and Vatican. The rooms were most satisfactory, staff very helpful and breakfasts were delicious. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
220 posts

We stayed at the Piazza del Gesù Luxury Suites near the Pantheon. It is nicely located, no breakfast, but we found a nice place near the hotel for breakfast. Quirky, in that the hotel is on the first floor (our second floor) and each room is different. We walked every where from the hotel. Little market near by to purchase food wine etc.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all so much. I’ve looked into a couple of these recommendations and they are all really great suggestions. Hotel Fontanelle actually says temporarily closed! So many advantages to different areas and different hotel choices-it’s good to get recent recommendations. Thanks again.

Posted by
105 posts

I second the Hotel Smeraldo. We were there last month - great location, solid breakfast, excellent kitchen and front desk staff, nice roof terrace. From there, we covered most of Rome on foot, including the Rick Steves Heart of Rome Walk, Jewish Quarter, Monti and Testaccio neighborhoods. We averaged 13,000 to 15,000 steps a day. YMMV. Ear plugs helped with the street noise.

Posted by
11156 posts

Hotel Palazzo Navona has a great location and an modern interior inside the this old palazzo. Highly recommended.

Hotel Golden a family run B&B. Convenient, clean, good-sized rooms. Check Trip Advisor for rating and pictures.

Posted by
973 posts

Albergo del Senato literally right next to the Pantheon on the Piazza. A 7th floor 360 rooftop bar that is very very nice! You can see so much. We stay there just for that and have cocktails every night. You won’t want to leave.

Posted by
60 posts

Hotel Abruzzi on Piazza della Rotonda. Get a room with Pantheon views. Awesome when the weather is nice to open the windows and enjoy a glass of Prosecco and listen to the bustle below in the square. The nice thing with this hotel is prices do fluctuate a lot with the season so depending on when you're going it could be a very good deal, particularly in the "off" season.

Posted by
2427 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Villa San Pio in the Aventine. It is in a quiet, leafy area and a great respite from the mad hustle and bustle of Rome. Breakfast is in a solarium and is wonderful. It is a short walk to the Piramide metro station where you can be anywhere in the city in no time. There are authentic local restaurants nearby and is not touristy. There are gorgeous views of Rome from the nearby at Giardino degli Aranci including the famous keyhole view. We found staying in the heart of Rome exhausting this time and honestly wished we had stayed at the Villa San Pio again. If you want to be in the thick of things then Hotel Smeraldo is nice. The hotel desk staff there are super helpful and kind. But again it is congested with people in that area and it took us a while to get oriented in that maze of streets.