Please sign in to post.

Rome Hotel

I have to book our hotel for the last night in Rome before our flight the next morning (July 11th). We are staying in Rome 2 nights when we land and staying at Albergo Del Senato (right at the Pantheon). Any other locations suggested for our final night in Rome? I'd like to change it up. Borghese, Termini, Trastevere?

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi ownedby3,

Is your flight very early AM? That would make a difference in where it would be best to stay.

My suggestion would be Termini. There are many nice hotels in the area. I have stayed there; liked it - never had any issues at all walking to and from Termini or from other areas of the city at night. Termini area gets a bad rap. But it is fine.

Try to get a hotel that offers breakfast. If not, there are a lot of pastry shops you can grab an espresso with pastry or a cappuccino.

It is not as as picturesque as Trastevere though. Borghese is farther out.

• If you stay in the Termini area, you can take the Express train to FCO - about 32 minutes or so - but, if you have a lot of luggage, not such a good idea.

• Cab it to the FCO - flat rate from the official Roma taxi is 48€ (Confirm if there is an extra cost for early AM to FCO and for extra luggage.) You may need two cabs if your party is larger.

• There are airport (shared) shuttles - usually accoms up to 6 people with luggage. They are vans so have the capacity to store luggage. They pick you up right at your hotel. If interested, I can link you what I took (twice) - no issues, professional, good drivers, personable and helpful with luggage.

Posted by
1662 posts

Ahh thanks for the extra info. So, you have "some morning time" to enjoy a breakfast at least.

I still suggest staying in the Termini area. It is perfectly safe. I traveled solo and never had any issues or fear.

There were tons of locals and travelers alike. Police and military are at Termini - as a deterrent - not because there is always trouble. Police cars are going back and forth along the main drag. And, I doubt you'll be wandering the wee hours the night before your flight. *

Seriously, it is fine. Maybe not the prettiest area. My fav hotel is one you would never guess you were in the Termini area.

My flights back to Boston from FCO were afternoon - after 2:00PM. I would sched my shuttle to pick me up at 10:00 AM - to allow for traffic or other things as well as picking up other travelers from the area. (To give you an idea.) But then again, each airline is different. Depends on if you will have checked luggage or how many staff are at the check in windows. *

Take a look if interested - http://www.airportshuttlexpress.com/ They are housed "in the airport" next to the train station.

Rome taxi - https://www.romewise.com/taxi-in-rome.html

With a group though, I would allow the extra time.

If you have to check out of your Pantheon Hotel - here is another suggestion -I have not stayed here, but found this for another member - Hotel Contilia & others https://www.hotelcontilia.com/ *

*Updated info

Posted by
2699 posts

You are booked at a very nice hotel in a great location. There is a TAXI stand on the right side of the Pantheon as you face it or your hotel can call a cab. It is 48 Euros flat rate. No need to change hotels and I would not advise the Termini area which can be seedy at night. Book a table at Armando al Pantheon for a great final dinner in Rome. Steps from your hotel.

Posted by
215 posts

No, I'm not changing. I need another hotel on the return on July 11th (we are staying at Albergo on July 3rd when we arrive). I was looking to book a different hotel just to get a different vantage point on location and change things up again. I can book Albergo again but wanted to try something new.

Posted by
2699 posts

We stayed here the night before our departure https://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/. after two weeks in Sicily. Three of us traveling so two rooms. Ours had a terrace, a splurge at 250 Euros but it was huge with two couches, chairs, shade, totally private. They booked dinner for us at il Gabriello. It was great but it is subterranean, so no windows or patio. I had simple grilled whole fish with potatoes and artichokes-yum! They suggested lunch at Nino when we arrived and that was a real treat-old, long established Tuscan restaurant, white table cloth. We were surrounded by well dressed Romans (us in jeans but they don’t allow shorts or flip flops) and dined well. This all very close to the Spanish Steps.

Posted by
2699 posts

Yes that’s the place but the link I posted works for me on Safari, so not sure what went amiss.

Posted by
7280 posts

Glad your flight isn’t at the crack of dawn. We had a very early flight, so stayed at the airport, hotel, checking out at 4am, but we were steps away from the terminal.

Prior to that, we’d had an apartment in Trastevere, which seemed as if we were adjacent to the Pantheon - it was just a couple of blocks plus across the bridge away. Then we flew to Sicily, and visited the Amalfi region before going back to Rome our final afternoon/night ... we visited the Ostia Antica archeological site, kind-of near that Airport hotel, our last afternoon, having arrived on the trains from Sorrento. But if you delved into Trastevere, you might want to stay further into its north or south, to “change it up” from where you’d been earlier.

Posted by
215 posts

Paula, the Albergo? I'd be happy to report back! They have been very responsive to me and even gave me a better deal then booking.com. I'm happy thus far.

Posted by
1163 posts

We just returned from our 4th visit to Rome and have stayed in different locations each time.

This visit, we stayed at Hotel due Torri and really loved it.

1. It's on a QUIET alley with no vehicles at all.
  2. We were 5 minutes from the Pantheon, Navona, and Borghese areas and literally walked all over Rome.

AND, we found the airport shuttle bus from FCO dropped you off by the Castel Sant'Angelo which was a 10 minute walk to due Torri.
And it took 30 minutes. We always thought it was easiest to take the train in to Termini, but this was a snap.

Posted by
180 posts

hey ownedby3, are you flying Delta to JFK? That departure time sounds like a delta fight

Posted by
180 posts

ha! I'm taking that same flight next May. It's funny that I saw a time and knew exactly where you were headed

I like that flight time. Not too early leaving... not too late getting in. not sure how my body will react to the jet lag though. sleeping on the plane would make the problem worse. I'm going to try to stay up and just be really tired when we settle in around 9-10PM New York time

Posted by
215 posts

I agree, we have a lot to do when we arrive at 10am, I want to try to see the walkable sites as much as we can and then we are doing at 3:30pm tour of the Colosseum and then I have a 7pm dinner reservation on the day we land. But the following morning at 7:30am we have a tour of the Vatican. That is what I'm worried about (that will be 1am NYC time) and I don't even like coffee!! We will finish up all the walking areas we can that day and day 2 we head to Positano.

Posted by
180 posts

Adjust your sleep schedule up to 3 hours earlier (30 minutes a day for 6 days) before you leave and sleep on the plane, even if it means resorting to medicinal help.

Good luck!

Posted by
180 posts

well it wont be that bad then. Maybe adjust it up an hour or two. You're talking 6 hours, so 8AM Rome time will feel like 2 AM new york time, So only 3 hours earlier than you wake up now.

That's assuming you live on the east coast. if not, all bets are off

Posted by
1174 posts

We didn't stay there but we did really enjoy the rooftop bar overlooking the Pantheon and high enough to watch the lights come on across the city.