Please sign in to post.

Restaurants recommendations

I will be in Italy in Oct. I need restaurant recommendations in the following cities:
1. Rome - staying in a hotel near the Forum
2. Florence - hotel is in the center of Florence north of the Duomo
3. Sorrento - hotel is in center of city, near Piazza Taso
We would like to walk to the restaurants.
Also: Do we need reservations?
Thank you,
Linda

Posted by
116 posts

Hi,

1. San Michelle All Arco, on Via de Oriullo - about a 6 minute walk from the back right corner of the Duomo. It's on the right hand side of the street (with the Duomo to your back). EVERYthing on the menu is homemade, grown on their farms in Tuscany. From the wine to the cheese, to the prosciutto, to the beef. I've eaten 6X in the last 5 years and love it. I've never needed a reservation
Posted by
6487 posts

I had a very good dinner at Trattoria ZaZa next to the Mercato Centrale. The Mercato upstairs is a big food court with a lot of good choices.

Posted by
8645 posts

Not sure if you are traveling solo but do take a look at the www.Journeywoman.com website.

Started in 1994 by the late Evelyn Hannon I’ve used the website over the years of travel to find accommodations, restaurants, throughout the world, etc.

Great resource.

P.S. Enjoyed meals at IL Giardino
Romano and Trattoria Monti in Rome but it’s been over a decade since I was there.

Posted by
3961 posts

In Rome we enjoy having lunch in the Jewish Ghetto. We like Nonna Betta. For a delicious dessert following lunch, stop at Forno Boccione
Bakery. It’s about a 10 min. walk from the forum. nonnabetta.it

Posted by
1025 posts

You're getting some good recommendations, but to focus in on possible choices, you might want to indicate your food preferences, your budget, and some kind of parameters to better enable people to assist you.

You don't mention whether you are using a city or country guide to get the basic information, and if not, I would suggest you consider Rick Steve's Italy guide as a primary source to give you a better overview. For my own use, I generally prefer the Lonely Planet guides, but everyone has a favorite information source.

Rome has literally thousands of restaurants, including some, such as those in the Testaccio area, which truly will widen your dining experience, but which may not be to your liking. Dishes like tripe and calf intestine are widely acclaimed, but most people tend not to indulge. Likewise, your choices in Florence are myriad, but in my experience, many tend to be more expensive than I am accustomed to.

Can you narrow down your request to give us an idea of your likes and dislikes, together with your budget?

Posted by
11130 posts

Yes to reservations everywhere!
Rome:
La Rosetta ( seafood) Near Pantheon.
Armando al Pantheon( book online well in advance) Wonderful trattoria.
Sorrento:
Bagni Delfino down at Marina Grande, seafood, on water. I would return to Sorrento just to dine here again.
Ristorante Pizzeria Tasso, “ classically elegant, antipasto, mains, excellent wine selection” Excellent, perfect.
You are staying in a perfect location for walking to places in Sorrento.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you. I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses. In response to wbfy1's remarks: I am using Rick's Best of Italy book, which I love. We don't want to put parameters on our dining choices, therefore all recommendations are welcome. We would like to be able to walk to the restaurants, but that is not an absolute.
Linda

Posted by
5 posts

Hey Linda,

I'm late to the party here but I have a few spots worth mentioning. Rick's guides have never done us wrong with dining, so you'll find good stuff in there. However, here are a couple more that I really like:

Rome - Ristorante Pietro Valentini (sort of between Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, and the river), Emma Pizzeria (near Largo di Torre Argentina)
Florence - Trattoria Napoleone

Regardless, one of the best things about Italy is that you can find great food everywhere. Just wander around and you're sure to run into some hidden gems.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for your recommendations. I am looking forward to Italy’s gastronomic delights.