Please sign in to post.

Restaurants in Trastevere

Looking for restaurant recommendations in Trastevere. We’re staying at the Rick Steves recommended Hotel San Francesco. Thanks

Posted by
127 posts

Can't go wrong with Trattoria da Enzo...always lineups and for good reason. If you arrive right around when they open, the wait usually isn't long.

Posted by
297 posts

3 times now staying in Trastevere neighborhood and for the most part all the restaurants are good. However, I would suggest you do some “googling” and make a reservation at your pick. We were so surprised every time how busy it was everywhere!

Posted by
952 posts

Agree with @GregW that Trattoria da Enzo is a wonderful small family owned restaurant and well worth the wait. Even arriving early, you will find a line.

A more upscale restaurant is Spirito di Vino, one of the leaders in the Slow Food movement in Italy. The food menu changes with the season. They have an amazing wine cellar that dates back to the time of the Colosseum and make sure you visit the wine cellar when you have dinner. In addition, this restaurant is was a Synagogue in the 11th/12th century. A visit to this restaurant is a tour through history with delicious and seasonal Roman food.

Two other places that are our favorites:

• Biscottificio Artigiano Innocenti--best cookies, multi-generational family. We buy these when we get into town and then the day before we leave as our friends love these cookies.
  • I Suppli: I cannot have just one of these fried balls of rice with cheese and marinara sauce. The restaurant in Trastevere is a street food institution.
Posted by
7377 posts

La Latteria is a wine bar with a great selection of varieties and prices, but also a great place for a meal. No need to stand in a line, waiting for them to open.

Posted by
7566 posts

There is probably more choice in the Trastevere in a small area than just about anywhere in Rome, and for the most part, fewer tourist traps masquerading as good restaurants.

We have had good luck just wandering, looking at menus, trying to get off the main streets, finding some small non-descript place with a short daily menu.

But, I can concur that Trattoria Da Enzo is good. They were made famous some years back by visits by several TV chefs, and now suffer from Tik Tok posers, but you have to hand it to them, they stick to what they do well and do not let the fame change them. Solid Roman dishes, served the way they should be.

I like Restaurante La Scala in the Trastevere; sort of a bit upscale, but a well rounded menu with classic Roman dishes, Seafood, and a focus on local producers and seasonal dishes.

Tonnarello will come up over and over in your searches. It is wildly popular, I honestly am not sure they are really that good or just popular.

There are several well recommended pizza places, Dar Poeta, Ai Marmi, and Da Ivo are classics.

For bakery, focaccia style pizza, La Renella Forno Antico is a must. And you must try Il Trapizzino, different fillings in a focaccia crust served as a street food.

For Gelato, an old favorite is Gelateria alla Scala, real handmade gelato in great flavors, then a newer favorite, Otaleg. Very creative flavors, all very artisanal.

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey lchick399
we went to carlo menta on via della lungaretta 101. sat outside on a long table with other patrons. had a pizza, pasta and tartufo for dessert. it was so good, nothing fancy.
check out a food tour: eatingeurope.com/rome
eternal rome: jewish ghetto, campo de' fiori, and trastevere
twilight trastevere rome food tour
read the descriptions, walking around the neighborhood, sampling the local foods and learning history about the area from your local guide. you'll be full at the end, wear comfy clothes and stretchy pants ha ha. enjoy & have a great time
aloha

Posted by
468 posts

We also did the eatingEurope twilight tour & it was a highlight of our visit. No waiting in line at any of the very good places we went to. Well worth the money.

Posted by
2 posts

Nannarella is right on Piazza di San Calisto served the best pesto in my life

Posted by
193 posts

Went to this place in January- La vita è’ n’osteria da Bobo. Liked it so much we returned two nights later, and it was just as good.

Posted by
513 posts

I've been eating at Il Duca for years and especially look forward to their ravioli with cheese sauce containing black truffle.