Please sign in to post.

Pensione Guerrato

Has anyone stayed in the Pensione Guerrato in Venice this year (2023) and what was your experience like both positive and negative.
Thank You.

Posted by
32767 posts

not this year.

Certainly enjoyed it the other times I have stayed there.

Posted by
10225 posts

I’ve had the same experience as Nigel, though I stayed in 2010 & 2016.

Posted by
116 posts

We stayed there in April of this year on tour. Location was very good, near Rialto Mercado. We didn’t need to open the windows at night, but noted our room faced a bar so could be loud at night if you needed to leave open. Others in the group who were on higher floors complained about noise that seemed to be on the roof but not sure what it could have been. The room was large and very clean. The bathroom was one of the larger ones on tour, others were really tiny( hotel Smeraldo annex room in Rome)
The breakfast room was smallish and they brought things around to your table rather than a buffet type setup. Pastries, cheese, meats all very good.. I remember there was cereal,yogurt / fruit you could pick up when getting your coffee.
There is a restaurant around the corner Osteria Vino da Pinto we enjoyed very much.

Posted by
6509 posts

I stayed there, in two different rooms, in 2018. One room faced a small square with a bar and there was noise into Friday night even though the room was up high. The breakfast room was indeed small, though our group lined up for the buffet items. As you probably know, there's no elevator in this very old building, the lobby is one flight up from the street, and the rooms on floors above that.

The desk staff were very friendly and helpful. When I changed rooms I left some shirts hanging in the wardrobe, and they moved them for me along with my packed suitcase. The location is great for sightseeing in general, and especially for the market early in the morning (earliest coffee I've ever found right down the street). The only thing that would make me hesitate to stay there again is the stair-climbing, which doesn't get easier with age.

Posted by
10225 posts

My second trip there I requested a lower floor so I wouldn’t have to climb so many stairs because I sprained my knee about 6 weeks before the trip. I only had the flight up to the entrance and one more flight from there.

Posted by
935 posts

We stayed there a few years ago as part of our Rick Steves Venice, Florence, Rome Tour = for us, it was just OK.

There is NO elevator and they put us on the 5th floor, so we had to climb SIX flights daily (with luggage also).

We usually love European breakfasts, but the one at PG was very small and actually below average for Europe.
To us, there are MUCH better options for Venice.

Posted by
1206 posts

I have stayed at PG several times in past years. The last time was a single room on the top floor with a bathroom shared with two other rooms. Since then have stayed at Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo (about ten minutes from PG and just a few steps from San Stae vaporetto stop). APM is similarly priced to PG and I like it MUCH better. Wonderful location, quiet super clean rooms, gracious and helpful staff, great breakfast.

Posted by
40 posts

I was just there last week. It's a cute place, but like others have said - no elevators and you do share bathrooms.

That said, the people who run it are lovely and go above and beyond for their guests. We had a great experience there! We found the breakfast suited our needs perfectly.

Posted by
4843 posts

Stayed there several times and never had to share a bath. The only drawback (for some) is the lack of an elevator.

Posted by
32767 posts

I've stayed in several different rooms and I have always had an en-suite bathroom.

I remember very clearly one time taking my laptop into the bathroom and balancing it on the corner of the sink as I shaved. Wrong move. Down onto the tiled floor it went and damaged one of the hinges, but good old machine - long out of production since, about 4 or 5 laptops ago - it took a beating and kept on ticking. I was exceedingly worried. I used it until I needed something faster.

So, never shared a bathroom at Pensione Guerrato. Maybe some of the rooms at the top?

Posted by
10225 posts

I’ve stayed in two rooms there and had an en suite bathroom in both.

Posted by
350 posts

I was here in October my room had a shared bath but I knew that when I booked. It was less money and I choose that option. I don't think they have many that share a washroom. I never had to wait for the bathroom. Yes you do have to climb a number of stairs to most rooms but that was made clear on the website and on my reservation confirmation. When I was there I was asked to book a time for breakfast (covid and room size) I could not book the time I would have liked as it was booked out for a RIck Steves tour group that was staying at the hotel. This was not a big problem for me. It also lead me to mention that I saw them in his book and even though I had not mentioned it at the time I was give the Rick Steves discount (think it wa 10 euros a night). They did ask for payment in cash rather than a credit card.

Posted by
2 posts

For the price, I would recommend another hotel with more amenities like a breakfast where they don’t assign you times in half hour increments and the quality of the food is better. It’s also really loud on weekend nights, until 2 or 3 am. The lobby is really small and they don’t let you sit in the breakfast room after breakfast. The only place to sit is in your room.

Posted by
597 posts

We rented an apartment, Fraia, from them in 2018. It was great!