Please sign in to post.

New Years Eve 2018- Sorrento or Venice

Hello guys,

We are talking a family trip from December 26th-January 5th. This will be the first time for my 12 year old daughter. We are starting in Florence and ending in Rome. Debating on where to spend 2 nights that will include NYE. Has anyone been to Sorrento during that time?? Is it a good time of year to visit and will there be activities for the 31st? We have also considered Venice for NYE for those two nights as well.

Basically the 2 routes I'm considering...

Florence (4)- Sorrento (2)- Rome (4)

or
Florence (4)- Venice (2)- Rome (4)

Thoughts?? Suggestions?

Posted by
27062 posts

I don't travel to Europe in the winter and have no idea what Venice and Sorrento are like on New Year's, but I believe detouring to Sorrento (vs. traveling straight from Florence to Rome) will cost you at least 5-1/2 extra hours of travel time. That would be way too much for me for just one day in a small coastal town during a potentially dreary-weather month.

Venice is at least Venice and will probably cost you a bit less train time (but likely more time getting from the train to your lodgings). If forced to choose, I'd take Venice, but I wouldn't be happy with either option.

Whichever side-trip you select will mean an extra hotel change (so more hours lost). Are you sure you don't want to spend those extra days in Rome?

Posted by
94 posts

I have been to Sorrento in late January and it was very, very quiet. Many eateries and shops closed. I typically go to Europe every year in either January or February because I like the quiet and lack of crowds so it depends on what you are looking for. I would go to Venice for New Years as it will likely have more options for activities and dining. Have not been to either on New Year’s Eve though.

Posted by
11155 posts

I suspect Venice would have more activity at New years than Sorrento.

I think I would do Florence( 3) Venice (3) , Rome(4) , if you do Venice.

Not been to either at your planned time.

Posted by
967 posts

I do like winter travel, but even in early November Sorrento was getting very sleepy. They get so few off season tourists, I think they may take that Christmas to New Year's week as family time and close down almost completely. A Venice/Florence/Rome combination should be much more festive. I would do a web search to see what NYE activities are offered in all three, and plan from there...even though I would probably always choose Venice.

Posted by
7811 posts

I have been going to Europe ringing in the New Year every year for the last 5. Last year in Amsterdam the year before that in Orvieto Italy a small town. Both cities had fireworks at midnight and a lot of party. I would go with Venice hands down. It takes to much time to go to Sorrento from Florence.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for all the response. We are leaning towards Venice. Any great suggestions for hotels?