Please sign in to post.

Montalcino or Montepulciano

Want to stay in this area for a few days. Have a car but would like to explore Montalcino, Montepulciano and Sienna by bus or train. Any advice? Also, which to stay in a nice country B and B with reasonable rates. Based Ferentillo (near Terni) for the month of October but this is one of our side trips.

Posted by
16893 posts

Bus and train connections are possible on weekdays for really motivated travelers without a car, but with a car available I recommend using it. You'll also need a car if you plan to stay outside of town in an agriturismo.

Posted by
3551 posts

Siena is a great base. U can take a. Bus easily from siena to san Gimignano, montepulciano or pienza.
If u stay outside of siena using your car is better.

Posted by
22 posts

Any recommendations for B&B or agriturismo in Montepulciano? Exploring Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza, Sienna but think we'll use Montepulciano as our base for 3/4 days. Also some restaurant recommendations in these areas would be appreciated. Prefer local, authentic dishes-outdoor dining (if possible)

Posted by
19 posts

As for restaurants, I would highly recommend La Porta in Monticchiello.. It is just a few miles south of Pienza. Great food but you need a reservation. I made one by email. Check out their website and their Facebook page and you can find the info to contact them. But I am not sure you can get there without a car

Also Latte di Luna in Pienza is very nice. For this one you need to call or make a reservation early on the day you will be there. No email, etc reservations.

In Montepulciano we really liked Russo Rubino. We ate there 2 of the 4 nights we were there. Great food, good service in a very small husband and wife run restaurant. This restaurant has only been around less than a year, so it is still easy to get a reservation. You probably can get in if you don't have one but you can make one on Trip Advisor.

Bon Appetito!

Posted by
119 posts

We just returned from a trip on which we spent a week at Cretaiole Agriturismo just outside of Pienza. We took day trips to Montalcino and Montepulciano. I would recommend Pienza over both those other towns. And I would highly recommend Cretaiole. Pienza is smaller and just plain nicer than Montepulciano, but not as small as Montalcino. It seemed to have fewer tourists too. Check out Cretaiole online. You will see it has many different types of apartments, and an incredible array of activities available.