Please sign in to post.

Monasteries in Rome

Has anyone stayed in one of the monasteries in Rome? There are many to choose from. Any recommendation would be appreciated. We'll (3 females) be there June 23rd for 4 nights.

Posted by
1226 posts

Great question. I am interested in learning about this, too.

Posted by
73 posts

Yes, I stayed for 5 days at Cardinal Cesi very near St. Peters square. It was fabulous. I travel solo and felt very safe, room was wonderful, bathroom a little small but overall...a really nice quiet place with helpful desk personnel.

Posted by
1994 posts

Are you looking for a functioning convent/monastery, or hotel that used to be a convent or monastery? I believe the Cardinal Cesi noted above falls into the latter category and is a luxury property.

If you're looking for a functioning convent or monastery... I have stayed with the Suore di S Elisabetta several times, and will be going back in the spring. It's a few blocks from Termini, and one-half block from S Maria Maggiore. I don't have the contact information right now but it is in the RS guide. Small simple rooms, very friendly sisters but they don't speak English, rooftop sitting area with good views, Good but simple breakfast. Very clean, very safe. I paid around €50 a night for a single ensuite room about a year and a half ago.

Posted by
95 posts

I once borrowed a book from my local library, and it listed the monasteries or nunneries in Europe that rented out rooms to visitors, Can't remember the book's title, but I found it in the travel section. If I go to the library, I will look it up for you.

Posted by
95 posts

Found the information:

"Good night and God bless: a guide to convent and monastery accomodation in Europe"/ vol. 1, 2009, 242 pages. Call number 914.06C

If your library does not have it, maybe you can get an interlibrary loan. I don't know if there are other volumes, but that one does include Rome.

Sorry that I could not give first hand review on an actual monastery/convent, but the book gives reviews, maps, history of the place, costs, contact info, etc.

Hope this will help. Hope you can find it.

Posted by
635 posts

Last May my grandson and I spent four nights at Casa il Rosario, a Dominican convent on Quirinal Hill. Very clean and quiet. Excellent location just above the Forum of Augustus, and an easy walk to the Colosseum, Piazza Venezia, Fontana di Trevi, etc.

Photos here.

Posted by
1994 posts

The website monasterystays.com lists properties, along with detailed descriptions of the amenities of each. They will make you reservations for you, and provide you with paperwork in English, which can be helpful. They have a very small booking fee, which is built into the rate they list on the website.

I usually book monasteries or convents directly by email, but the one time I use monasterystays.com (for a convent in a very remote area), they handled everything very nicely.

Posted by
1078 posts

We have stayed several times at Santa Maria alle Fornachi which is a 2 minute walk to the Station San Pietro, and 5 minutes from St Peter's. An added plus is there is a laundress around the corner who will wash and fold a bag of dirty cloths for €12! Had hoped to get in for our trip this coming June the week before you are looking at, however,they're booked-up, so will be renting an apartment in the neighborhood instead. They do have other choices once you get to there website. Good Luck!

Posted by
86 posts

I stayed at Villa Rosa in 2013 and it was a perfectly delightful place. Irish Dominicans, so English was no problem. No curfew (!).. you had your own key. Excellent central location. It's a B&B. Euro50 for single; Euro90 for double; Euro110 for a room with 3 beds. Newly refurbished ensuite bathrooms were clean and snug. Right across the street from a bus stop for 2 major lines. Leisurely 15-minute walk to the Coliseum. I HIGHLY recommend this place.
http://dominicansisters.wix.com/villarosaconventrome