Please sign in to post.

January 2024 Recommendations for Positano or Amalfi or Sorrento Hotels or B&B's ?!

Hello! It looks like may places recommended on this forum are closed in January! We have a week to explore after a work trip in Avezanno. We'll have a car & can do day trips from any of those places I mentioned, so we'll have six nights to stay somewhere. Any suggestions? I know it's going to be cold but that's ok as we are not sun worshipers.

Restaurants in these locations would be welcomed also!

If it is a horrible idea to go to this part of Italy in January, where would be better? As I mentioned we have a work trip near the Fuchino Space Center outside of Avezanno. We'll have 2 nights in Rome when we arrive. Vatican City, The Colosseum and a few other sights are priorities. Then we have 6 nights SOMEWHERE & we'll have a car. Last night in Rome it looks like I see recommendations for the Hotel Tiber for the night before we leave on a 10am flight. Any further recommendation on that? We want to turn in our car the day before so we don't have to hassle with that in the morning. However if Hotel Tiber has easy parking, maybe it would be easier to just keep it & drive ourselves to airport in the morning?

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions!!

Posted by
7312 posts

We'll have to hope someone who's been there in January answers, but it might be only U.K. folks do that. It's not a "winter resort", after all. If you are from the eastern US (you have not filled out your Home location in your public profile for us to see ... ), I personally recommend the Caribbean. You have also not told us if you have ever set foot in Italy before.

People pick Positano or Amafli BECAUSE they are bit isolated (and impossible to park in), so I can't see staying there if some places are closed and many fewer ferries are available (and more exposed to bad weather ferry run cancellations.) Sorrento is not as hard to get to, but it's not near enough things other than the actual Amalfi Coast, and Naples.

If you don't want to go far from Rome, you might see if Ostia Antica, Villa d'Este, and Hadrian's Villa are open in the winter. Would you drive as far as Orvieto for a day trip? Rome cannot be exhausted in a week which has work all day (so much is closed at 5PM.) It might be nice to see Rome in the off season, and the city would give some protection from winter winds. Two days in Rome is a drop in the bucket. Venice would be more exposed in the winter, but it might be less crowded than usual. 5 nights in Venice is not too much. Can you fly home from Venice?

Posted by
19 posts

Nope! Air is already booked in & out of Rome. We are on a business trip mainly & get the extra week to play. Was hoping driving south would be a bit warmer. I've been to Rome 3 times and although wonderful, we don't LOVE big cities.

Hoping someone knows what would be open in winter!

Thanks for responding!

Posted by
3163 posts

A few Decembers ago I stayed at the Villa Annalara in Amalfi. Wonderful hosts, phenomenal views, very nice rooms, parking available for a fee. I highly recommend it. Great food at Il Tari Amalfi, midway between the coast road and the Villa.

Posted by
4710 posts

We were in Sorrento/Amalfi this past May, when unprecedented rains arrived. There is not much in indoor activities in the area, and the scenery isn't so spectacular when the skies and seas are all grey- if you can see at all. We were there three days before we could even see Vesuvius, it was so cloudy and rainy. Hiking isn't fun in the pouring rain.
So- just a few things to consider.
I'm voting for time in Venice, especially if you haven't been there before. Even if it rains in Venice, and it did on us this past May, Venice is still magical, and there are so much to explore indoors.
Good luck planning and please keep us updated as your plans evolve.
Safe travels!

Posted by
315 posts

I'll chime in on Hotel Tiber - we really liked this hotel, and you do not need a car. The hotel has an airport shuttle, and if the timing doesn't work for you, there are local cabs available. So, you could drop the car at the airport, get the shuttle or cab to the hotel, and then return to airport for your morning flight. Restaurants are all very walkable from the hotel, and the hotel itself has a bar and a restaurant as well (although we did not eat there other than breakfast).

If I were going to Italy in January, I would also look for a week somewhere with plenty of indoor things to do, as others have stated. Venice, Florence, maybe a few additional nights in Rome...