Please sign in to post.

Italy trip

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some good companies and past experiences or recommendations for day trips and tours I am looking to do whilst in Italy for 2.5 weeks in June/July. Most are day trips out of towns.

Also does anyone recommend doing a tour by ourselves with a skip the line pass or a tour, EG, the colosseum & Saint Peters Basilica.

Tours/trips would be:

• Saint Anthony Basilica Padua
  • Venice walking tour
  • Siena & Tuscany wine tour from Florence
  • Cinque Terre from Florence
    • Saint Francis Basilica Assisi (In Assisi)
    • Pompeii from Sorrento

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Posted by
105 posts

I have used WalkaboutFlorence for 2 day trips. Both experiences were excellent.

Posted by
922 posts

Second recommendation for Walkaboutflorence. We did the best of Tuscany tour and loved it. Long day but you have a few hours on the bus to rest at varying times of the day en route. They also have Cinque Terre day trip that we considered but we ended up staying there overnight.

Posted by
824 posts

Padua is easily done on your own as a day trip from Venice. In fact, I would recommend doing Vicenza, to see the Teatro Olimpico, and Padua in a single day. It is very doable and both cities are easy to navigate on foot or by bus. Padua also has a very convenient tram systems.

You might also consider visiting the Scrovegni Chapel if going to Padua but remember to purchase your tickets on-line and in advance.

I also recommend WalkaboutFlorence for day trips. I did their Chianti Wine and Food Safari (booked through Viator) and just loved it.

I booked tours of the Vatican and the Colosseum/Forums purely for the convenience and narration. I have also booked guided tours of the Accademia and Uffizi in Florence for the same reasons and while I've had a couple so-so guides, I've never regretted the decision(s) to do so.

BTW - I don't think it makes much sense to visit St Peters WITHOUT seeing the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel (IMHO).