Please sign in to post.

Hotel Smeraldo in Rome

Spent 2 nights at the charming Hotel Smeraldo last week and absolutely loved it. The hotel and rooms were spotlessly clean, the front desk staff friendly and efficient (thank you Massimo) and the rooftop terrace and bar were intimate and wonderful. Perhaps the best thing about the Smeraldo is it's location. In literally 3 minutes, you are in Campo Di Fiori, Trasteverre is perhaps a 5 minute walk, the Pantheon 8 minutes. The included breakfast had something for everyone and the coffee was excellent, served to you at your table.

Posted by
6289 posts

Thanks for posting this. We're booked on the Best of South Italy tour next spring, and the first hotel is the Smeraldo. We're going early to spend some time in Rome, and although most of our stay will be in the Aberdeen, we are planning to move to the Smeraldo the day before the tour begins. The rooftop terrace and the Campo dei Fiori location seduced us away from our favorite Rome hotel.

Posted by
32709 posts

did you discover the little shop around the corner seling hot and cold take-away food, and deli type noshies? Very yum.

Posted by
8345 posts

I have reservations for Sept 2022, so I was glad to read this good report. Thanks for posting.

Posted by
9550 posts

I was just looking at the Smeraldo website a couple of nights ago, thinking of going in October. I stayed there three years ago with my husband when we went to meet my brother and sister-in-law.

And YES, having Roscioli right across the street is a dream !!!

Posted by
74 posts

We are staying here now. I agree with toddw, great location and very friendly front desk staff

Posted by
261 posts

Thank you for posting this - we have reservations at the end of October for 4 nights there. Now I'm pretty excited about staying there!!

Posted by
3961 posts

Thanks for your recommendation. I have been reading such positive reviews and will definitely
consider this charming hotel in the future! Great location. The rooftop terrace is a major plus. Bookmarked!

Posted by
1543 posts

Can't agree enough with the reviews. Hotel Smeraldo is wonderful.

Location is great. We were there with some mobility challenged older friends and they loved strolling the area.

Staff great. Very kind when when one of our party fell ill (pre Covid).

Rooftop terrace was a wonderful space to relax, early or late.

We love it so much that recently we were booking a last minute trip to Europe and it might well have been Rome but Smeraldo was booked. Just couldn't imagine anywhere better so went with Nice!

Posted by
16 posts

Let this be another endorsement of Hotel Smeraldo. We've stayed there many times over the years and always liked it. The (fairly) recent upgrades have made it even better--and for location? within walking distance of most things we like. The staff is helpful, the rooms pleasant--my favorite choice.

Posted by
22 posts

We've stayed in this hotel on another RS trip, and loved it. Doing RS Southern Italy in May. Can't seem to get an answer back from them to stay our first 2 days. The Hotel Oriente is doing the same thing at the end of the tour. Are Hotels waiting till time gets closer to book you? I really don't want to do it by phone, I would rather have a record. By the way I really like Smeraldo!

Posted by
647 posts

Did you email both hotels directly? I did that several months ago, and got timely replies, and reservations.

Posted by
6289 posts

cbwhit55, we emailed them (Smeraldo) last June and had a response within 2 days. We're also on a RS tour this spring.

Oh, and we never did hear back from the Oriente in Naples, so I've booked us in another hotel for the 2 nights after the tour.