Please sign in to post.

Hotel recommendation Venice November 2024

This will be our first trip to Venice. We will be there 3 or 4 nights. We will be arriving by air and are looking for a place to stay. We would like Venice charm, easy access to transportation, and an elevator. We are also budget minded. Thank you, in advance for your suggestions.

Posted by
11764 posts

Have you used something like booking.com to plug in your dates and budget and number of people to see what shows up?
If not, you may want to do so and after you see some places that look suitable, come back and ask what folks think of them and which might be better located or nicer than another.

"budget minded" is of little help; a number in euros ( or dollars) would be better.

Posted by
1215 posts

Take a look at Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo. It is only a few steps - no bridges - from the San Stae vaporetto stop, which is only three stops from the train station and four from Piazzale Roma, where the taxis and buses stop. (So you can roll from the train station - or bus from the airport - onto the vaporetto and then into their lobby!) I love this hotel, and have stayed there several times. Lovely old building, wonderful staff, great breakfast. Although there is no elevator, there are several good rooms (one single and several doubles) on the ground floor, so no steps there. It's not the most "budget friendly" hotel in Venice, but is much better priced than many. Take a look at them on booking dot com but then go to their own website for best room selection and price.

Posted by
2515 posts

You don’t mention the number of people in your party or your nightly budget. That info would be helpful. It is very difficult to find hotel rooms that sleep more than two people on real beds. So if you are a family, plan on two rooms or an apartment.

In Venice, a big consideration should be access to a Vaporetto stop, and how many bridges you need to cross with luggage. Also, location is important. If you are very close to tourist sites, or on a main route between sites, it can be very loud with people walking by at all times. Also consider whether there are bars and restaurants beneath the lodging.

We stayed at Hotel Ala many years ago and I see that it is still recommended. It is in a fabulous location just off the grand canal, with a Vaporetto stop very close and no bridges to cross. It is very close to St. Mark’s, but not too close. https://www.hotelala.it/en?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAA9rxQV1bTE04wvPtfWmsdLYh_irK4&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwO20BhCJARIsAAnTIVQxx8bUd-DBuauqElZ7Cy6r7ZCyYRgJ-5mYXWonsfrrXxHpZtsmQaIaAhIxEALw_wcB

If you are interested in an apartment, I can recommend this one, very close to the San Stae stop. There is one bridge to cross.

https://www.airbnb.com/slink/AceaGbDb

Posted by
17284 posts

Al Ponte Mocenigo is an excellent recommendation, but I do not think they have a lift. The listing on booking.com (@a good place to check for details like this if you cannot find them on the hotel’s website) says “upper floors accessible by stairs only”. But perhaps they have ground floor rooms that would suit.

Posted by
8 posts

Last fall before starting a wonderful Village Italy tour, I flew into Venice, took the waterbus (Alilaguna [sp]) from airport to a stop on the Grand Canal, then a 10 minute walk thru the narrow streets to Domus Ciliota. A former convent and now a hotel. Super easy and the approach into Venice and the Grand Canal totally worth it.

Not a lot of charm in a former convent but very reasonable, outstanding location. The Piazza San Marco, Basilica and Doges Palace within 10 minutes. Friendly helpful English speaking staff. Lovely sunny breakfast room with an outstanding breakfast buffet. I don't generally eat breakfast but theirs was too good to pass up.

Some of the rooms are quirky. So ask questions about the room. There was construction immediately outside my window so I couldn't open it and the room a bit dark. But judging by the breakfast room there were many experienced travelers, French Australian Turkey who stay there every year. As a solo just starting lengthy travels, I spend less at the start and indulge near the end when travel worn.

I used Booking.com and communicated with the hotel thru its sytem. But I found later that it is listed in the RS Italy guide.
Also, a tip: if you don't want to climb the stairs at the Bell tower on Piazza San Marco's, take a traghetti over to Giorgio San Maggiore across the lagoon. The church there has a bell tower with an elevator and fantastic views. Access is cash only and I paid 8 euros. View and elevator totally worth it!