Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Rome and Florence

Hello all. I've read a lot of information on this forum but still curious for more. My husband and I will be visiting Italy in September, starting off in Rome for 2 nights followed by Florence for 4 nights. I've looked into several of the hotels in the RS 2016 book, some of which are booked already, but would like your recommendations too. Rome I think we're not so set on the Italian experience, just the comforts of home while we get our bearings. We'll be out of there in a flash anyway. We will most likely do a walking tour and visit the ancient Rome sites and the Vatican before taking the train to Florence. We will use the Hop-on/Hop-off bus most of the time while we're there (which is not long), so maybe that's a consideration? In Florence I think the Italian experience would be nice, but not a B&B.

Looking in the $150 to $200 US range please. Something with a rooftop terrace bar would be especially great. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1166 posts

Take a look at La Scaletta - it's right across the Ponte Vecchio with a great rooftop for breakfast and photos. And steps away from one of our favorite restaurants - go to Mama Gina's on Borgo San Jacopo for Cannelloni.

You will get a lot of advice. But you may want to post in Italy - this section is for reviews of places AFTER you have traveled.

Posted by
7209 posts

2 nights in Rome is not nearly enough to see the sights especially if you're already set on visiting the Vatican which can take the better part of a day. Hop on/off buses are usually a time waster because you have to stand around waiting on them. The metro will zip you around quickly and the Rome taxis are very good at getting you around the historical part for quick jaunts.

When in Rome we go to our old favorite now which is the Napoleon Hotel near Termini. It's one of those family run big hotels where most all the employees are related and bend over backward for you. It's one of those grand old hotels that is just classic. No rooftop terrace but it has big salon areas with couches and chairs and big open spaces for relaxing out of your room.