Please sign in to post.

Driving to Venice

We had planned to take the train & rent car at end of Venice time but we have found the cost, even with parking, to be comparable and IF parking is secure it would be so helpful if we could leave at least car seat and one bag in car! Traveling with three young children is no easy feat and we are looking for easy. Any experience on security of Garage San Marco or Venezia Tronchetto?

Posted by
32714 posts

Before you give up on trains, can I ask where you are getting your prices? The reason I ask is from my experience the cost one day's parking in either Tronchetto or P Roma is about the same price as a train ticket - purchased well ahead and using the Super Economy fare or Saturday fare - from as far away as Rome and less than a ticket from closer places.

That doesn't count the tolls, fuel (usually the highest or second highest in Europe), rental or any of the other costs involved in renting a car for Italy.

Where will you be arriving in Venice from? How many in the party?

I don't think anywhere is really secure, but if you don't open the car after you have arrived so no prying eyes can see what you have, park at a place that doesn't keep the keys (a fairly common practice), have everything impossible to see through a window, use a boot/trunk with a metal lid instead of a piece of fabric, lock the car, and park rear bumper against a wall, you will cut down on the chances of loss. Avoid places with sparkly broken glass on the ground.

Posted by
3 posts

We are a party of five, which quickly adds to the costs, but I'm afraid my husband probably wasn't looking at economy fare.

Posted by
32714 posts

You talk about party of 5, and you talk about a car seat. 4 adults, 1 small child? 2 adults, 3 under 11's? It makes a BIG difference.

Posted by
3 posts

2 adults & 3 under 11. Oh no! I think he was pricing first class tix. I think the train may be it after all.

Posted by
16193 posts

Especially since there are deals for families with small children on the trains. The super Economy prices will trump,the family deal, but it may be too late for your dates.

Posted by
7209 posts

Having arrived into Venice via car, via train, via bus from Treviso, via water taxi & Alilaguna from airport I've found that comparing car arrival/parking and train arrival into San Lucia Station is no comparison. Train is hands down the easiest. If you're looking for all the ease available to you then book a hotel with a water taxi dock and take a water taxi straight from the train station to your hotel.

I've even made the dreaded mistake of staying in Mestre for my first Venetian Experience - that was awful!

Posted by
967 posts

I understand your needing to leave things in a car. I've been in a similar situation in Venice after driving around Italy in our own personal car. We parked safely at one of those high-rise garages near the boat stop, not sure of the name. We did back in with bumper all the way to the wall. Left it with fingers crossed, but all was well. The garage wasn't creepy or dark and there were no obvious signs of vandalism. I would do what makes my life easiest. That trumps money when traveling with kids, for me.

Posted by
20032 posts

When we parked at the large garage off Piazzale Roma, only the driver was allowed in the garage to retrieve the car. The rest of us had to wait outside until he came out before we could get onboard. So they do at least make some efforts to keep extraneous people out of the garage. He was also the only one in the car when he parked it.

Posted by
67 posts

I've done Venice twice now, first time with the whole family, by car, then with a friend, by train.

We parked in Mestre, Garage Europa if I'm not mistaken, and had no trouble with pricing or security. It made everything a lot easier when it came to traveling with a bigger group, just like the train made everything easier when it was just two persons carrying nothing but a backpack.