Please sign in to post.

Current events in Russia/does anyone feel that will affect travel to Italy Fall 2022??

I know Italy is far from Ukraine, but...that doesn't mean Italy won't be affected....I am actually still planning a trip to Italy Fall 2023 and realize no one knows what will happen when/if,but wondering what the prevailing thoughts are re: travel near there in the coming months. thanks.

Posted by
11177 posts

Current events in Russia/does anyone feel that will affect travel to Italy Fall 2022??

I am actually still planning a trip to Italy Fall 2023

Which is it?

Posted by
15807 posts

I am actually still planning a trip to Italy Fall 2023 and realize no
one knows what will happen when/if...

That's right. No one can tell you what the situation will be in the next 18 days versus the next 18 months. Most recent posters on the forum are going ahead with their plans for Italy but if any amount of uncertainty is going to cause you a bunch of anxiety then put your plans on hold. Fall of 2023 is so far distant that you don't need to be booking anything yet anyway.

I don't mean that to sound harsh. "Prevailing thoughts" just mean very little when there were apparently many who thought it wouldn't come to this in the first place. Sucks that it has.

Posted by
6113 posts

Yes the fighting may drag on but there’s no reason to cancel a trip to Italy. If Putin is going to start WWIII, America is going to be a more obvious target than Italy.

Italy along with most countries is taking Ukrainian refugees but that isn’t likely to affect your trip.

Posted by
23267 posts

We just booked a trip to Italy for Aug 1st. At 80 more concerned with my running out of time than any war.

Posted by
8141 posts

Who knows what's going to happen? But you should be okay in Italy for the Fall. Poland, Hungary and the countries to the east would be best avoided as they're busy dealing with 4 million refugees as of now.

We're starting in London 5/2022, but our Baltic Cruise with stop in St. Petersburg has been cancelled. So we're going to Plan B and will probably fly into Milan and spend a week in Lugano and the Swiss/Austrian Alps.

Posted by
18 posts

You know, Italy being a NATO country, if Russia does anything to threaten Italy we will have some very large problems not just in Italy, but here too. I feel some guilt about going on a pleasure trip to Europe with all that is happening, but OTOH we've but our plans on hold for two years because of Covid and who knows where the world will be in years to come? I say seize the day.

One thing I want to look into before we go is what the refugee situation is there, and what we can do to help.

Posted by
103 posts

We're planning a month-long trip to Sicily beginning in September. I'm more concerned about COVID affecting our trip. That said, the horrible war crimes the Russians are committing in Ukraine should concern us all.

Posted by
11177 posts

. I feel some guilt about going on a pleasure trip to Europe with all that is happening,

Will staying home somehow make the situation better?

Unless you donate the money you would spend for the trip to a relief agency, your going/not going is irrelevant.

Posted by
30 posts

Hello,
I’m in Rome now. There is more military security and presence around the city and in the air than I have seen in previous years here. Also, I think one can expect prices to go up for everything if energy costs increase as Russia cuts off gas supplies to Europe. I’ve read that air conditioning in hotels etc must be kept at pre- determined levels so as to conserve energy.
Geopolitical conditions in Europe are unpredictable at the moment, but I wouldn’t cancel my travel plans unless your home country issues a travel advisory to Europe.

Posted by
170 posts

We are leaving for Italy in three weeks come hell or high water. COVID cancelled this trip two years ago and I’m not letting Putin cancel this one. Not getting any younger.

Posted by
48 posts

thanks all for your input....considering my age (70+!) I am NOT cancelling either! :) xoox

Posted by
14992 posts

I was in Helsinki last week. Finland shares an 800 mile long border with Russia. If you didn't watch the news you wouldn't know there was a war on.

I'm now in the UK. Nothing here.

I'm also planning a fall trip to Italy, among other places. Unless Putin starts WW III, I'm going.

Posted by
9 posts

We have been in Italy since April 1, and apart from Ukranian flags flying from private balconies, you would not know there was a war going on. I have felt safe the entire time.