Please sign in to post.

Bologna IT Hotel/Lodging Needed for May 2024

Traveling solo, with need for 2nites lodging in Bologna. Prefer to be in or very near old City Center, looking for recs. Am impressed with Art Hotel Orologio- has any one stayed there? Also, happy to hear any strong recommendations to visit while threre. Thinking of doing the 10am walking tour, 4 hours, Sat., With Food Italia. (Or something like that) mentioned elsewhere on this site. Any wonderful spots for dinner, or …? Thanks!

Posted by
16333 posts

We stay in an apartment in Bologna, so have no personal experience with that hotel. But it gets a high rating (8.7) on booking.com, looks nice in the photos, and is a great location right in the center.

We enjoyed the climb up the Torre dell’Orologico (clock tower) for a view of the clock mechanism and over the piazza below. You can book a time slot in advance:

https://www.bolognawelcome.com/en/experiences/300685/Visit-to-the-Clock-Tower--Torre-dell-Orologio--and-to-the-Municipal-Art-Collections

As for restaurants, it is hard to know what someone means by “wonderful”, but we really like a small, unpretentious and very friendly place nearby, a couple of blocks north of the main Piazza Maggiore on Via Montegrappa. They have only 4-5 tables inside and a couple more outside. We have dined at both, making a reservation earlier the same day. The small menu changes daily. The name is La Bottega di Via Montegrappa. They have a Facebook page but no website.

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks Lola- v helpful comments! Id ask about your apt there if I were not traveling solo. But that little cafe you mentioned sounds delightful- just what I would enjoy! Will check it out- And glad to hear your comments about the hotel Orologio- It is a bit pricey but I expect to pay more when Im staying in the city center. The clock tower sounds fun, too. Thanks again!