Please sign in to post.

Bed and Breakfast in Italy, October 2014 - Part 2 (Vernazza and Venice)

Continuing on.

Maria Capellini's Charming Room (Vernazza, Cinque Terre). We spent 3 nights here and loved it. It is not a B&B per se as there is no breakfast included. Maria and her husband Giacomo made us feel like family! Giacomo met us at the train station and walked us down to our room. Giacomo is probably 80 and such a gentleman, he insisted on taking my bags (okay, they were small and on rollers but still). On the 5 or 10 minute walk through town Giacomo pointed out restaurants, where to get free Wi Fi, etc. The Charming Room is on ground level (i.e. NO Stairs) right on the harbor.. If it is warm enough at night you can leave your window open and listen to the lapping of the water. The room was spotless! Spacious! and had great lighting. There is a small table and chairs in front of the window. Bed was comfy and the bathroom good size. There were also extra towels! Something we did not have at the other B&Bs. There is also a small kitchen...sink, frig, hot water kettle.
Maria and Giacomo live across the way and we would bump into them now and again. We mentioned to Giacomo one morning that the shower was draining slowly and when we returned that afternoon it was fixed. Giacomo also made some suggestions on our train schedule. Can't say enough about the two of them! There is a gelato shop right next door and we went up to II Pirata for breakfast every morning and also had dinner there twice. RS mention II Pirata in his book. It is run by two brothers and a fun spot. Pastries are excellent. And there is also a self serve laundry next to them.

B&B 3 C (Venice). This was the most expensive B&B that we stayed in during our trip. That should come as no surprise as Venice was probably the most expensive city on our trip. The rooms here were more hotel like. Big room, comfy bed and a large bathroom. Cubicles for storage and even a desk. Complimentary tea and instant coffee in the room. Just turn on that hot water kettle. I do believe there were steps to reach this B&B but there were not as many as the DeiMori. Located in St. Marks, close to the Dodge's Palace and St. Mark's Basilica. Our room overlooked the alley below which was full of shops, etc. Kind of fun to hang out the window and people watch. BTW, the sandwich shop right below our room was very good. I thought it was a bit noisy the first night but DUH! I closed the windows but failed to close the window above the window or close the shutters on the outside of the window. Second night was fine. I think our Host mentioned this when we checked into the room but we were kind of tired so it did not sink in. We asked our Host where she ate dinner and both of the recommendations that we tried were very good. Breakfast was the typical: Coffee, (ask for a Capaccino and it will be made for you), juice, cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastries. They even made hard, soft, poached eggs (they used some kind of egg kettle). My husband even had a grilled ham and cheese mini sandwich. Plenty for me and my husband did not complain.

Posted by
27 posts

Great review! Do you have contact info for Maria and Giacomo? Any idea of they have other rooms to rent? We are a party of 8.

Grazie!

Posted by
239 posts

Jo, It is best to send Maria an email. She responds promptly and we handled our reservations all online. MariaCapellini@hotmail.it
If you are a Facebook user you can probably send a private message that way also. They have two rooms, "The charming room" where we stay (right on the harbor) and "The cozy studio" which is across the plaza (extremely close) and I believe on the second or third floor. We did not see the Cozy Studio but I believe it sleeps 3. Go to Trip Advisor and read the room tips! When we traveled Italy the B&Bs we stayed in had 2 - 5 rooms. It may be difficult trying to get 8 people into one B&B. And just an FYI Maria Cappellinis rooms do not come with breakfast. We enjoyed breakfast each morning at the II Pirata just behind the train station! Enjoy!