Please sign in to post.

B&B or Hotel in Venice

We have 2 nights and one full day to spend in Venice the first week in June after visiting Slovenia and Croatia. Have never been there. Any recommendations for a quiet, yet centrally located B&B or Hotel in the $200/night range? Also one where it would be easy to get to and from the airport?

Thanks!

Posted by
10222 posts

I've stayed twice at Pensione Guerrato, located near the Rialto Bridge. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. On my first trip I arrived by train and took the vaporetto to the stop very close to the hotel. My second visit I arrived by air and took a shared water taxi to the same stop near the hotel.

https://hotelguerrato.com/en/

Posted by
39 posts

We stayed at Locanda Poste Vecie when we were in Venice two years ago. It had been recommended by the hotel mentioned above since they were full. It was great. Clean, helpful, ver good breakfast. Our room looked out on the Mercato Rialto. The shutters on our room blocked out the noise. We loved watching them set up early in the morning. I loved the location. A hidden gem.

Posted by
30 posts

In 2014 we stayed at Al Ponte Mocenigo prior to journing RS tour.

A double superior room was Euro 170 per night included wonderful breakfast. Some excellent dining and shopping choices in the quiet San Stae vaporetto neighborhood. 10 minute walk through streets/alleys to Rialto or jump on jump off the vaporetto. Jet lagged as we were on arrival we purchased the local venezia unica pass and thoroughly enjoyed multiple canal rides several times a day. Can't wait to return.

S. Croce 2063, 30135, Venice, Italy, Phone : +39 041 5244797 Fax : +39 041 2759420, info@alpontemocenigo.com

Posted by
157 posts

Thank you all! Trying to figure out which is best location and easiest to get to from the airport. I think we arrive around 7:30 in the evening. The Moncenigo looks lovely but I am seeing prices around 300 euro for early June - a bit expensive for us. My guess is that the price really varies depending on time of year? Or maybe there is some other way to get it discounted?

Posted by
11156 posts

Hotel Flora is set down a quiet alley, has a lovely courtyard where you are served breakfast, a gem.
Don’t worry about being near airport. You will take an Aliaguna ( a boat/ vaporetto that is dedicated to the airport route) there. A stop for the Aliaguna is not far from Hotel Flora.

Posted by
157 posts

Does it matter which side of the Grand Canal the hotel is on? Is there a neighborhood that is best for getting to the major sites on foot but not too much in the center of action so as to be noisy? Or is Venice small enough that it really doesn't matter? Appreciate the advice on ease of getting there from the airport - it has sounded complicated to me when I read about it!

Posted by
3961 posts

We second Suki's recommendation for Hotel Flora. Friends have stayed there and raved about the ambience. We feel the location is ideal. Quiet street, and short walk to the major sites. Coming from the airport the boat dock is a 5 min. easy walk to the hotel. We look forward to our stay in the fall. See Booking.com for excellent reviews.

Posted by
4829 posts

We've stayed at Pensione Guerrato near the Rialto Bridge a number of times and were well pleased. It is very easy to get to from the vaporetto stop. It does not matter which side of the Grand Canal the hotel is on, and it is easy to get anywhere in Venice because it is so small. Once you have decided on a hotel, let us know and we can give detailed instructions about how to get there from the airport.

Posted by
157 posts

Will do! The final contenders are: Pensione Guerrato, Hotel Flora or Palazzo Veneziano (if I can get the price down a bit) which I saw on TripAdvisor. I will let you all know which one wins... :) Thanks again for all the great advice and help!

Posted by
157 posts

Oh and my apologies for getting the price wrong on Mocenigo - it was $300 for TWO NIGHTS, not bad at all!

Posted by
157 posts

We are booked at Hotel Flora!! Private water taxi from airport vs ???

Posted by
4829 posts

There are 3 ways to get from the airport to your hotel. The 1st is a water taxi and they are quite expensive. Probably 125 Euros for a private one. I understand there is now a shared water taxi that will lower the cost, but I've not used them and do not know how much they cost. Perhaps others who have used them can comment.

The 2nd and next least expensive is the Alilaguna boat. It will cost about 20 Euros per person. It takes longer, you do have to "check" you baggage so you don't have control of it the entire time, and you probably will not be able to get a "non stop" line to the area of your hotel.

The 3rd and least expensive is a combination bus and vaporetto (vap.). It takes a bit longer, but that is what we do because we travel very light with just one carry on apiece. There are two bus lines that serve the airport. One is ATVO and is NOT affiliated with the vap. system. The other is ACTV and IS affiliated with the vap. system. At the airport you can get a vap. pass for various periods from 24 to 72 (or more?) hours. You can have a one way or two way bus fare added to the vap. pass. There is a good site maintained by the ACTV system that has current prices and etc.. Don't remember the url so just Google it.

If you decide on option # 3, take the # 5 ACTC bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma. Be sure and validate the vap. pass on the bus. Do not wait until you get on the vap. Also, validate the pass each time you use the vap. Then take to the vap. to the stop closest to your hotel. It appears the # 1 vap. is the one you should take to the S. Maria del Giglio stop but double check with the hotel. Then just walk from there .

The hotel can probably give walking instructions from the vap. stop. Or you can go to googlemaps.com. and type in the hotel name and address. You can get aerial views and street views and can "walk" the route before you leave home. We've done option # 3 many times. Easy Peasy and cheap to boot.

There is a site called veniceforvisitors.com that has a lot of good info. that you might want to check out.

Posted by
157 posts

TC - Thank you so much!!! Will check them all out. Since we will be coming from Dubrovnik (1.5 h flight) we probably won't be that tired so could try to save some money and let it take a little longer. Also love that web site - full of useful information!

Posted by
10222 posts

I did a shared water taxi from the airport and arranged it in advance. When we arrived at the airport there was a window we went to for the water taxi. It was well signed. They checked us in and directed us to where we would find the boat. It was very easy and price wise it wasn't much more than taking public transportation.

Posted by
1 posts

I stayed at Hotel Flora and took a private water taxi in from the airport. It was a highlight of my trip.

Posted by
30 posts

Agree with TC. Airport bus then vap. Easy, economical, enchanting