Please sign in to post.

Airport Security

Does Rome airport allow Opt Out of scanner? I would prefer to have an alternative means of security screening such as a pat down. Why you are wondering.... I am a healthcare professional and would like to limit my exposure. Thanks if you have any info

Posted by
23177 posts

We have exited Rome a number of times and don't remember seeing that option but I am sure it is available. Just ask. Europeans in general have similar reservations as US travelers so you will not be the first.

Posted by
11027 posts

I am a healthcare professional and would like to limit my exposure.

To what?

Posted by
1662 posts

I think gm may be referring to the radiation emitting from the scanner. Out of curiosity, I asked a similar question at Heathrow security. I was told that "I could refuse the body scanner, but I would have a very thorough pat down and a very thorough bag search -- all things taken out and inspected."

The scans are barely seconds.

gm,

This post is from one of our forum regulars (Rome/Italy who is also an expert on Trip Advisor. Someone asked this question.

Here is her reply:

1. Re: Are there body scanners in FCO for flights to US? Mar 24, 2018, 8:07 AM

They use the full body scanners and you cannot "opt out" like you can here in the States. Also, there are lots of guards around with machine guns for security.

Donna

I hope that answers your question, gmd51.

link: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k11391024-Are_there_body_scanners_in_FCO_for_flights_to_US-Rome_Lazio.html

Posted by
5239 posts

I'm more concerned about the risk from mobile phones than airport scanners even if you are regualrly exposed to radiation as a result of your job.

A neighbour's daughter has just been diagnosed with head and neck cancer with a tumour in the same position where she holds her phone (and uses it a lot for work). Coincidental? Perhaps, but there are many similar cases out there. As well as an increase in testicular cancer linked to men whose phones spend a predominant amount of time in a pocket close to their testicles.

I hear of many, many cases of police officers who now suffer permanent tinnitus as a result of permanently having an earpiece attached to their radio during working hours and who knows what the effects are of having an 'Airwaves' radio attached to their chest for at least 8 hours a day.

We are already seeing the effects upon pilots and cabin crew who are exposed to radiation from spending significant amounts of time flying however I believe a lot of these concerns will be buried or poo-poo'd because of the huge implications now that we rely so much on the technology.

And before anyone suggests.........I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat (or tinfoil pants for that matter).

Posted by
5309 posts

It is an EU regulation that requires opt outs to be provided - EU 2015/1998, so they should be available in Italy. However, be aware that this may involve a complete hand search of all your accompanying luggage plus that of anyone who is traveling with you

Posted by
14481 posts

So far, whether in Europe or the US re airports, I have always been able to avoid that scanner, that peek-a-boo machine. by telling the security personnel that I want to opt out by taking the pat down option.

I have always been accommodated, period.....no problems.

Posted by
1662 posts

whether in Europe or the US re airports, I have always been able to avoid that scanner.

Long ago, I once asked, out of curiosity at Heathrow, if I could opt out the scanner. The agent gave me this long explanation of how they prefer passengers go through the scanner. They would have to give a thorough pat down, empty bags and inspect things.

I go through the scanner at US and International airports. Something must set it off because I am called aside and given a quick pat down - nothing invasive - just wanded mostly.

One time, I had to do the scan twice -- my carry on was moving down the belt, and instinctively, I turned around to keep an eye. I told the agent before I went in the scanner, but it seems they're weren't listening. The woman agent said, "oh, she moved. It's not accurate."

The machines are supposed to be a generic outline of the body. It is stated they do not show actual female/male bodies. Also, it's stated the agent does not see the inners of the body. Who knows for sure unless you work for TSA/airport security.

Posted by
5239 posts

If any border security agent has any interest in seeing the outline of my genitals then more fool them. I don't know these people, they don't know me, they're not going to be in a position to laugh at my appendage later on in the pub, it's an unfortunate result of travel security these days but I don't let it worry me too much. I've produced two fine sons so it's done its job, bask in its glory all you want, I've moved on in seconds and making my way through duty free without a second thought and they've no doubt forgotten me as soon as the next 'model' presents themselves.