Please sign in to post.

Rome Apartment Rentals

We rented from Cross-Pollinate apartment rentals and were very unhappy with the Spanish Steps Terrace. It was very dirty and unpleasant. When we dealt with the American who manages this company, he was not understanding, demeaning, and quickly judged us as demanding Americans. Two of us live in Europe and the rest understood that we would not have American accommodations. However, when the Italian owner/manager of the apartment came over, she was kind and helpful and responded to our concerns. This is the only place where they demand payment up front and then will not refund or change accommodations. Everywhere else we stayed had you pay at the end of the stay. Don't buy it! I can still hear the owner's loud, shrill voice! He told us he'd "never had a complaint" for this apartment and the Italian owner/manager told us it had only been rented one time!!!

Posted by
501 posts

That's awful. Really can sour your stay.

I once rented an apartment close to the Eiffel Tower. The owner was American and absolutely the worse person I ever rented from!

Posted by
795 posts

Thanks for the warning! We like renting apartments in Europe instead of just luxury hotels and it usually costs less. Since Rome is a favorite city, we definitely do not want to stay in a place where we would be shouted out or treated rudely.

Posted by
9 posts

I stayed at Al Portoncino in Trastevere and will be staying there again on my trip next year. If you Google it, you will find their own website and their listing on Flip Key and Trip Advisor. It was a nice, clean apartment, great location, and THE VERY BEST LANDLORDS I've ever had and I have rented lots of apartments in several countries, including the U.S. SabbaticalHomes is another good website for finding apartments, usually for a little longer-term, but not always.