Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome

My wife Mary Ann and I had the good fortune of meeting Francois Nicolas at the Rome train station who whisked us away to the B & B operated by him and his wife Melissa. We started with a paid for cab ride, an opportunity to see the room in their B&B, which was delightful and sealed the deal with beers right across the street. What could be better. The Nicolas Inn Bed and Breakfast is in a superb location for visiting Rome, and includes the opportunity to dine and relax at local neighborhood restaurants and bars. But, the best part by far is getting to know and spend time with the owners Francois and Melissa Nicolas. If we ever return to the Eternal City, we would be sure to contact them, and stay at their B&B.

Posted by
16893 posts

Thanks, Charles. Did you reserve ahead for them to meet you at the train station, or was this meeting serendipitous? I see that their web site suggests metro or taxi from the train station.

Posted by
2 posts

Completely by chance. We were headed to the section of the station where we were told we could arrange for a hotel. We had used that service in other locations in Europe, including two times on this trip, Salerno and Venice.

Posted by
16893 posts

Glad to hear from people who are still "winging it" in cities like Venice and Rome, which are very popular, but also have a lot of rooms. The room finding service has worked for me many times when I didn't have guidebook listings or when those that I called were full.

Posted by
1 posts

Couldn't agree more. Just got back from Rome and Francois & Melissa are great hosts who couldn't be more helpful with arranging local rides as well as recommending local sites and restaurants. Rick's guide description is right on.