Please sign in to post.

Hotel Serenissima in Venice

We stayed at Hotel Serenissima in Venice for 2 nights in June 2014. It was not recommended in Rick Steves Italy 2014, but I saw it briefly mentioned on this site, and it had a pretty good price on Kayak. Turns out it's a Rick Steves tour hotel--one tour left on our first day there, and a second Rick Steves tour arrived on our second day. The hotel is in a FABULOUS location, just a few blocks from Rialton and from St. Mark's Square. We felt OK walking as two women after dark from St. Mark's to the hotel. The front desk was very friendly (especially Michele) and spoke good English. The hotel-provided map + the maps in the Rick Steves guidebook were enough for us to explore all over for two days.

We were in room 152, on the first floor. (The first room we were given smelled like cigarette smoke, and we were lucky they had a second twin-bedded room to change us to. They seemed offended when I wanted to change rooms but did it anyway. I could not have taken staying in the first room. I guess I live a completely non-smoking American life and was shocked how much of Italy reeks of smoke. Ugh.) The rooms have older furniture, but the bed had two sidetables/sheves and there was a nice large wardrobe/closet. The floor of our room was sloped in one direction. The beds are hard, and so are the pillows; the only real negative of the hotel was the beds. The A/C in the room worked and got down to 73-74 at night. (We were afraid to mess with it for fear it would get warmer.) They turn off the electricity to your room when you leave (right there in front of you when you leave your key at the front desk), probably smart in expensive Venice. The room was ensuite, but the shower is on the small side (but not the smallest we had in Italy), and the water temperature was very hard to control (hard to keep it from scalding).

I really enjoyed the breakfast (served from 7-10 am). They had the best scrambled eggs! An older Italian woman is in the kitchen cooking. They also served two kinds of bruschetta, two kinds of sandwiches (ham-and-cheese on mini-croissants--my favorite!), yogurts (frutti di bosco--"wild berry"--is the best!), fruit (whole fruit + watermelon), juice, good coffee, filled croissants (with apricot jam--didn't think I'd like them, but I did), hard-boiled eggs, and cakes/tarts. The wifi worked with good speed, but it took quite a while for it to connect the first time (but after that it was fine). I would love to find a better hotel in an equally great location for the same price in Venice, but I don't know if it's out there. My first visit to Venice was 13 years ago, and I stayed in a dump then; this place was much, much better, and I had a much better time.

Posted by
1203 posts

Thank you, I enjoyed reading your review of the hotel in Venice. I will be taking the RS Best of Europe tour this year and this hotel will most likely be the hotel we will be staying in while we are in Venice. What did you see and do while you were in Venice? I do like a good breakfast and nice to know they have a great breakfast. I follow Deborah Guber, she is a college professor who travels to Europe every summer and blogs about it. You can find her by googling Deborah Guber, an independent traveler. She has stayed in Venice five times and three times she stayed at the Hotel al Ponte Mocenigo. http://www.alpontemocenigo.com
She has an excellent blog which is very informative and you may want to check it out. She loves this hotel in Venice. It may be more pricey that the RS hotel but it seems like a great hotel to stay in. So you may want to check this hotel out in your next visit to Venice.
Would like to hear more about your stay in Italy and in Venice. Happy to hear you had such a good time. Best, Ann

Posted by
15 posts

We went on the RS Venice/Florence/Rome 10-day tour in June, and this is where we stayed when in Venice. The hotel was OK but I wouldn't give it an outstanding rating, mainly because one of the beds was as hard as a wooden board. I asked the front desk to change the mattress; he said he would try but nothing was done; it was only a three-day stay anyway. Other that I really didn't have any complaints. No elevator and weak a/c but I expected those. Spectacular location, in the middle of everything. We didn't eat in the restaurant. Breakfast was provided in the hotel as part of the tour, and was geared towards American tastes.

Posted by
233 posts

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who got a terrible bed at this hotel. (We had a twin-bedded room, and my mother's bed was slightly better than mine, but only slightly.) My bed was so hard, I rolled over one night and fell onto the floor, as the mattress had no give at all :( It was by far the worst bed I got on the whole trip, and poor sleep made me crabbier than usual during our time in Venice.

Posted by
233 posts

Ann, the Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo does look good (after looking at the website and Trip Advisor reviews). Don't know if I'll be back to Venice, but it's always good to get tips. As Rick says, "Assume you will return."

As for what we did in Venice, I'm a recovering cheapskate, so we did a lot of walking: vaporetto to Rialto, walked to hotel, walked from the hotel to the Sant'Elena neighborhood, wandered around the neighborhood's back streets (and near the Arsenal), got caught in a thunderstorm, went to dinner, back to hotel to sleep, breakfast, went onto the roof of St. Mark's and toured the church, too (one of the prettiest in the world, and there was a youth choir there singing when we were there!), then walked to Rialto, enjoyed the market, bought a hat (left mine at home!), took the traghetto across the Grand Canal, walked to Fondamenta Nove, bought a 24-hour vaporetto pass, went to Murano (Colonna stop), bought lunch at the supermarket there, wandered around, picnicked, took the vaporetto back to St. Mark's and then to San Giorgio Maggiore (for the bell tower with wonderful views), then vaporetto to Giudecca Island to wander around a bit, then vaporetto back to St. Mark's, walked to the Giardinetti Reali (ate rest of chips from lunch), walked to Accademia Bridge, walked across, wandered along canals there, ate dinner, went back to the hotel, and then took the vaporetto after dark from the train station to St. Mark's to enjoy the views.

Things I may do if I ever return to Venice (and this was my second trip; I was first in Venice in 2001 as a dirt-cheap backpacker): Doge's Palace, gondola ride (although it was so crowded in the gondolas during the day, it reminded me of an amusement park log ride--not special), and Burano/Torcello/Lido. Hope you enjoy your time in Venice!