Please sign in to post.

World Meeting of Families Dublin August 2018

I just read that the World Meeting of Families will be held in Dublin Aug 21-26, 2018. My RS tour begins August 26, 2018. Curious how much this may and will affect my tour?

Posted by
20089 posts

At any given time there are big conventions and trade fairs going on in major European cities. Your lodgings have been booked a long way out and guaranteed. If you just happened to be in town at these times, you might find hotel rates suddenly higher than normal. But there should be no worries there as that is already included in your tour price.

Posted by
4 posts

I was in Philadelphia for the World Meeting in 2015. I would guess it could effect your trip a great deal if you are going to be anywhere near where Pope Francis will be. His schedule has not been released but he certainly would arrive before the closing mass on Sunday August 26th. In Philadelphia there were no traffic zones. Cars could not even drive in or out of the inner city. Museums were closed. I had to park my car blocks from my hotel and walk out because I needed to leave before the final mass on Sunday. I couldn't even get into or out of my hotel without being searched by the secret service because of its close location to where Pope Francis would be. I was staying across the street from the Cathedral. The 26th will be a very unique day in Dublin would be my prediction and I wouldn't plan on doing anything anywhere near where that mass will be or near his parade route. I would predict at least a million people will be in Dublin that day to see Pope Francis. I'm guessing by the 27th things will be back to normal unless Pope Francis is staying longer. I believe he will also be visiting Northern Ireland. I'd watch for his schedule.

Posted by
409 posts

It's DEFINITELY going to affect your trip if you want to get to Dublin before the start of the RS tour....

The Pope? In Ireland?? Oh, yes.....

Get your hotel reservations confirmed, ASAP. Dublin is notorious for price gauging when big events hit - like Springsteen, the Pope, the GAA finals...... so get at it!!

Susan
Expat living in Waterville, Skellig Coast/Ring of Kerry

Posted by
4 posts

Pope Francis just announced he is coming. He has not announced his schedule yet. But he will be in Dublin on the 25th for the festival and the 26th for the mass.