Please sign in to post.

Winging it in Ireland

We are going to be traveling northern Ireland at the end of June. I did book our first night in Doolin with hopes of going to Inishmore the following day, but that is weather dependent. So, with that being the case, I am unsure of what our next days will be as far as timing. Can we just wing our lodging for the rest of the trip or should I be booking in advance?

Posted by
8649 posts

Wing it but just so you can be totally stress free the night before your return flight home book you that accommodation now.

An FYI as you drive into a village, town or city look signs near mail boxes, along the roadside, near driveways or in front yards. Those are Bnb signs. See a property you like, stop, knock on door and see if there is a vacancy.

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you, Claudia. Great tips! We are set with Doolin (first stop) and Dublin (last stop).

Posted by
8649 posts

I failed to add if a place is full the proprietor will more than likely suggest a neighbors place and make the call for you. The hospitality of the Irish is second to none!

Both Ireland and Northern Ireland are beautiful countries. Slow down and enjoy every moment you are there.

Just remember pounds are the currency in NI. Euros in Eire.

Posted by
6509 posts

I have to agree with Paul. Winging it during the off season is fine, but I’d make reservations during the high tourist season. That applies to everywhere, not just Ireland.

Posted by
3215 posts

You can wing it, but I would say with two caveats. You will have to spend some of your precious vacation time looking for accomodations and the nicest places will be booked, so if you are not too picky about your lodging it might work.
Personally, I always book in advance, but I am picky about accomodations.

Posted by
72 posts

We just got home from Ireland. All of our 12 nights were booked in advance. Like diveloonie, I am particular about where I stay and I don’t like to worry during the trip about whether or not we can find a suitable place; it adds unnecessary stress to our vacation. Three of the four places we stayed were pretty busy for mid-April.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks everyone! After more consideration, I think we might skip Inishmore on this trip. Too much touch and go might make the trip too stressful!