Please sign in to post.

WiFi

Anybody have experience with WiFiCandy rental in Ireland?

Posted by
6788 posts

No personal experience with that device in that place. But...

So-called "pocket wifi" devices that you can rent all use the local cellular network. 15 years ago, they might have made sense - and still might, in a few specific places/situations. But for most folks in most places, it's far less expensive, and far simpler to just buy a local SIM for your phone. If you own an unlocked phone, a local SIM would seem to be a much better option - easy, cheap, quick, one less device to keep charged/lose/get stolen/break...

Posted by
119 posts

I don't have experience with it. When we were there in 2018, we used Google maps with downloaded, offline maps. We thought we had the perfect solution. Nope. In rural areas, the offline maps were not working. I have no idea why, but my suggestion is to find something else that will.

Our trip to Ireland was wonderful though - have fun!

Kristen

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks for the input. I think we're definitely going to get SIM cards. Wondering if it's better to buy them here in the U.S. or when we land in Dublin?

Posted by
6788 posts

Unless you have an urgent need to have your phone(s) already set up before you leave home, I would probably wait until you are there and buy a SIM in Ireland. They are not expensive, and widely available - there's probably a shop selling them in the airport (I don't know that for sure, but most major international airports in Europe have at least one shop selling SIMs); IME at airport shops, usually the staff will pop it into your phone/tablet for you (to ensure it's working properly and that you do have connectivity) so you don't even have to perform the minor task of removing your "home" SIM and swapping in the foreign one. Important: Do be sure you save your home SIM once it has been removed(!), they are tiny and easy to lose, so be sure you tuck it away, as you will want it once you get home.

The only reasons I can think of to get the SIM at home before you leave are: 1) if you want/need to know what your phone number in Ireland will be before you go; 2) you don't want to spend the time (typically no more than 15 minutes or so, in my experience) dealing with buying and swapping SIMs on arrival; 3) you are worried about language issues (I encountered this when buying SIMs in the equivalent of a 7-11 Lithuania and Latvia, but surely won't be an issue in Ireland). But a SIM for Ireland will not work at home (so foreign SIMs will probably fail to activate properly if you install it and fire up your phone at home); and of course you won't be able to use your phone for local calls or cellular data at home once you install it.

You can buy foreign SIMs (often specially marketed for tourists) on amazon (I've done that several times) so if you really want to deal with it before you leave you can. Though you will find a wider selection and more competition once you're at your destination. But for me, stopping for 15 minutes in an airport shop to get my phone working (after clearing passport control, etc.) is usually more convenient. It has become part of my standard set of tasks to complete on arrival (clear passport control, claim any checked bags, hit the bathroom, locate an ATM and pull out some cash, get SIMs for the phones, head to the hotel, etc.).

Ireland is awesome. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks, David. That is very, very helpful. First trip to Ireland, so many questions!

Posted by
8661 posts

Simply going to chime in here to say you will love Ireland. Been 4 times.

First trip it had been “I have to go country visit”
so I went. Scotch Irish family roots.

Flew from Heathrow ( as I’d started the trip in London)….sat in a window seat. Cloudy day but at one point clouds parted and I excitedly uttered “ Bad word….it really is that green. “ Laughter and smiles on the plane.

Remains one of my most favorite travel destinations EVER!

Have a great trip!

Slainte

Posted by
20 posts

Claudia - this trip was all planned for May of 2020, and then Covid. So we've been waiting 2 years to go! Hoping and praying that the virus will not stop us again. Or World War III. Anyway, thanks everybody for the encouragement and information!

Posted by
343 posts

We have a mobile WiFi device, purchased on Amazon a few years ago. Link here, if interested. The benefit is you can connect multiple devices to it, if that is of interest. I teach online so I need backup plans for the backup plans. I get the Holiday Orange sim before I leave and bring along this device for use with the orange sim. Based on comments here, I might look into getting a sim in Ireland when I go next month.

Posted by
317 posts

just a suggestion...if you can switch phone carriers TMobile is set for overseas travel. No messing with SIM cards, changing your number, etc. You land & the phone connects to a tower & you get a message....welcome to Ireland. Heck I was hiking in the San Juans & must have pinged a tower in Victoria...Welcome to Canada

plus they pay your Netflix & Apple TV

Posted by
20 posts

Wow, so many options! I still think the SIM card will be our best bet. One more question.... does anybody have experience with using Consumer Cellular in Ireland? It's international plan is quite pricey and that's why we're looking at the SIM card.

Posted by
265 posts

Just changed to T-mobile, European access one of the best reasons. Apple TV is free for a year.
Always had good success with AT&T in Europe on their $10 a day plan but my phone died (actually quit when AT&T shut down their 3G network) and T-Mobile had a much better offer on new phones.

Note that the European access on T-Mobile may be slow. They offer a supplemental 5G plan depending upon how long you may be overseas. Ask me again in 3 weeks and I will know a lot more!